Garrett Pro Pointer AT Issue

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a total noob with this hobby. I got my detector on Christmas, my Lesche in January and my pro-pointer in February. I've been out a total of 2 times as the ground here is still hard as a rock. In that time I've practiced with my detector and lived on this site and have gotten some great tips in the process. I'd say if the old pointer still works, keep it until you need a new one. You can always replace it later. Plus there may be kinks that need to be worked out of the new model. Who knows, maybe I've found a bug, but I doubt it.

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The battery seems to have been the culprit. I've been out the last 2 days after work for over 4 hours and the pinpointer had worked without a flaw, I love it. The retune feature is so cool and the factory setting of mid-range is perfect. Now if only it would warm up enough so that I could dig past 4" without the concrete feel you get from frozen NY soil.

aluminummagnet

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2014
Magnolia TX
Detector(s) used
All Things Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Took my carrot out for the first time yesterday.
After about an hour I would turn it on and it would not pinpoint anything. The light would be on but would not signal on anything. turn it off and back on and it would operate like it should.
Then about an hour latter the strangest thing started happening.
Turn it on, lights up, pinpoints great, turn it OFF and the vibrating motor runs non stop until you turn it back on.
Replaced the battery and it still does this vibrating non stop thing when it is OFF.
Anyone else have this issue?
It's headed to Garrett today. I hope they repair them faster than they make them. Took too long to get it then it breaks 2 hours in. I have confidence in Garrett, just a little disappointed.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, That would be disappointing! I just picked up the "carrott" and I think I'll go give it a backyard test!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett Metal Detectors are a GREAT company. Sorry your having issues but they will fix it. Call me if you need a good contact up there! Be glad to get you pointed in right direction.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used my new Carrot on three hunts know. Still has the original batt and it is working great. Very happy so far. I guess it is like everything else you buy these days and you just got a bad one. Garrett is a great company and I feel sure they will make it right. Still a hassle though.

killroy

Feb 5, 2015
douglass,ks
Detector(s) used
AT Gold AT Pro ACE 150 Fisher F11 AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the pointer for about a month and just got the low batt alert
did not have a backup battery but used one out of my first detector
i got a no brand 50 dollar kid detector and that battery lasted about
5 minutes so i bought some cheap batteries today and so far no
problems but i have only used them for less than an hour so
i will find out this morning if these batteries will last the whole day

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know these new Pinpointers have a "Retune" feature on them right? They arent exactly the same as the others, and I noticed a few times I would be "retuning" it when I thought it was pinpointing...it took me a little bit to figure out what I was doing, but once i did, i never had that issue again.

I dont do alot of water hunting myself...but there are MANY times I hunt when its either just rained or its wet outside where the pinpointer gets caked in mud, So the fact I can simply hose this thing down made it a much needed tool in my box

Oh, and BTW

Thanks to Bart at Big Boys Hobbies, I was able to get mine in just a couple days after buying it!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My new AT pointer works well...too well in some instances. I have been used to propointing with my original tool, it is spent to the point that I have to be physically touching the target to get the steady tone. The AT is so much more sensitive that I get the steady tone, when I am still 2 or 3 inches from the target. Just takes some getting used to. (Remember, here in the sand of FL, we don't cut plugs, we break the surface and probe..)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new AT pointer works well...too well in some instances. I have been used to propointing with my original tool, it is spent to the point that I have to be physically touching the target to get the steady tone. The AT is so much more sensitive that I get the steady tone, when I am still 2 or 3 inches from the target. Just takes some getting used to. (Remember, here in the sand of FL, we don't cut plugs, we break the surface and probe..)
p
Its funny you meant about it working "Too Well"...After dealing with the older pro pointer and its little quirks, Im so used to constantly checking it on my shovel to make sure its working..lol

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The new AT pro-pointer will cause enough electrical interference when I turn it on while using my CTX 3030 that it will cause the detector to chirp until I turn the pin pointer off. Of course this is with the detector on max sensitivity and the pin pointer on max sensitivity. Doesn't happen all the time and even moving the detector a arms length away it still does it. If I electrical balance the detector with the pin pointer turned on it is fine. Not a big deal and I love the new AT pin pointer no matter what.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread