Ace 250 coil upgrade

Mr Ripley

Jul 31, 2009
Western PA
Hi all,

First off, I want to state that I really love my Ace 250, as a matter of fact I have ended up with two of them (long story). I have stock coils on both and have been pretty happy with my finds.

Lately I have been kicking around the idea of upgrading. This is just one of many hobbies I enjoy, and I don't see an A/T or a Gold in my future. So my question is whether any 250 users have had significant success with a new coil.

Many advice much appreciated,

Mr R

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Mr Ripley,

I've had good results with the Garrett 4.5 inch Sniper coil on my ACE 250. I had searched my front and back yards a couple of times with the stock coil and thought they were hunted out. Then I read about these smaller coils online and they are supposed to help out in trashy areas where multiple targets can confuse the stock coil so I ordered one. It's easy to install and I was detecting in minutes. The small coil forces you to hunt a bit slower but the trade off is you won't be digging any big holes as the targets are usually right under the X in the center of the Sniper if you pinpoint carefully. I found it easier for the small coil to get around rocks, tree roots and bushes plus it seems to get a little more depth than the stock coil. After checking my yards again, I found my oldest coins to date with the Sniper. Both 1919 wheat cents, oddly enough, one in front and the other in back, plus a few dollars in clad that I had missed with the stock coil. I have recently upgraded to an AT Gold and bought an AT series Sniper for it as well since I had such a good experience with it on the 250. Good luck and happy hunting! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr Ripley

Mr Ripley

Jul 31, 2009
Western PA
Thanks for the info cruiserkev. I will definitely check it out. I feel that there are coins hanging in my yard also that are just barely out of reach....

Mr R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread