Some More Coin Ring Making Tips

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Got dumped on during last few days, and it wasn't from those loud Canadians flying overhead either... :rofl: All that white mold from up above was enough to get me motivated to make something, so I made a coin ring mini press for rounding off the edges of coin rings.

See my video below: "rounding coinring edges"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8CORF4dsmopibINy0fWzGA

DSC_0334.jpg

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got me started John!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427195120.195326.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427195143.822137.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427195164.945905.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427195194.431714.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427195233.101192.jpg

The Canadian coins have some real nice details for making rings.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
You got me started John!

The Canadian coins have some real nice details for making rings.

Man....you do excellent work :headbang:. Nice photography also! Keep up the great work Rob!

morglan

Greenie
Apr 19, 2011
Those are sweet morglan! Did you have a reduction die made for the silver dollars or did you buy one?

I have since had a reduction die made (have a love/hate relationship with it though!)

That one was simply hammer, mandrel, and a little bit of work on a doming block (but I didn't dome the edges of that particular ring very much.)

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
I have since had a reduction die made (have a love/hate relationship with it though!)

That one was simply hammer, mandrel, and a little bit of work on a doming block (but I didn't dome the edges of that particular ring very much.)

I have looked at some of the equipment available in the net to save time and increase accuracy to make the BEST coin ring as possible. I find it is easy to make your ring slightly off center when trying to curve the edges of the ring in the doming block. Well, it least you can make some corrections with a little more annealing and mandrel use.

You also do some fantastic work with those rings. Thanks for posting!

morglan

Greenie
Apr 19, 2011
I have looked at some of the equipment available in the net to save time and increase accuracy to make the BEST coin ring as possible. I find it is easy to make your ring slightly off center when trying to curve the edges of the ring in the doming block. Well, it least you can make some corrections with a little more annealing and mandrel use.

As do you! I haven't done much with foreign coins yet--I like the ones you chose. I did try (4 times!) to make rings out of Indian Rupee coins. I think the problem was the silver content (50% I think) or actually the makeup of the other 50%. Split all 4 coins. Only other coin I've had split (but shouldn't have) was a 1907 Phillipine/US peso. Beautiful coin, 80% silver--split right off the bat.

morglan

Greenie
Apr 19, 2011
20150324_163322.jpg
Just a quick pic to show just how big these rings are. The ring on the left is my wedding band--typical size of any normal men's wedding band.

All three rings are within a 1/2 size of each other--and the Morgan is the smallest at size 10.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Nice....I may attempt to make a silver dollar later on this year in the fall, when metal detecting slows down. I learned the hard way not to make a coin ring out of nickel. I ruined my burring bit on my dremmel, and noticed small tic marks on my ring mandrel. So, I stay away from nickel coins as a rule. I did make a 1967 set of coin penny, nickel, dime , quarter, half and dollar many years ago. It's all fun! I love going to the coin store on occasion and sort through the foreign coins box. They are usually cheap!.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The dreaded "wobble" does suck with the doming blocks. I bought a Kagan ring stretcher/reducer and it makes a world of difference. If you get a wobble after doming, I found if you stretch it back out and resize you can get the wobble out.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I know what you mean. I use Delrin balls on a press with a doming block to fold the coin. It leaves the inside in perfect condition and I rarely use my mandrel anymore.

midnightcamaro

Greenie
Mar 12, 2015
upstate SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im definitely a newbie here.....and to metal detecting. ....but those are amazing!!!! I dont wear rings but I may have to start lol

Mr Meanly

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi People,

The rings look amazing!

I'm new on here so hope you don't mind if I ask for some help please!?

I'm looking to purchase a ring stretcher/reducers for my coin rings but are unsure which one to get! Would any of you more experienced ring makes be able to recommend one that is good quality but not going to leave me broke ?

Any help bis much appreciated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread