Threshold question

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im new at MDing and have a LOT to learn. I have a Garrett AT Gold.
Anyway I really dont like the constant buzzing sound in my ears through the headphones when the threshold is set to 1 or higher. When I select 00 or anything lower then there is no constant background buzzing sound at all and I seem to hear all the other target audios just fine. Where I hunt now and hope to be hunting will mostly be in quiet areas and I understand from the owners manual that I might want to increase the threshold in noisy areas if need be.
Where do most of you set your threshold ? Do I need to tolerate the buzzing noise and leave the threshold higher ?
My main question is, am I missing any targets with the threshold set to 00 ?

mydogisscout

Feb 25, 2010
Grand Blanc, Mi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Im new at MDing and have a LOT to learn. I have a Garrett AT Gold.
Anyway I really dont like the constant buzzing sound in my ears through the headphones when the threshold is set to 1 or higher. When I select 00 or anything lower then there is no constant background buzzing sound at all and I seem to hear all the other target audios just fine. Where I hunt now and hope to be hunting will mostly be in quiet areas and I understand from the owners manual that I might want to increase the threshold in noisy areas if need be.
Where do most of you set your threshold ? Do I need to tolerate the buzzing noise and leave the threshold higher ?
My main question is, am I missing any targets with the threshold set to 00 ?
My threshold setting is usually -5 and I'm nailing clad targets

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats good to know.
I just want to make sure that Im not loosing a chance to find something for the gain of just barely loosing that annoying buzzing sound.
Thanks

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want a slight threshold if you're in an area with deeper older targets. You can be alerted to deep targets whose signal is too weak to give a target response. Once you hunt with a threshold for a while you miss it if you use a machine without one

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want a slight threshold if you're in an area with deeper older targets. You can be alerted to deep targets whose signal is too weak to give a target response. Once you hunt with a threshold for a while you miss it if you use a machine without one

Im not real sure about me being where there are deeper older targets. I will try and learn my detector better for that reason.
Thanks for the help

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The threshold is there to alert you of a possible deep target with a slight change of audio. If it's annoying, by all means turn it down.

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have the AT Gold, Mudball, but I did want to commend you on your general attitude. We see a lot of people with an approach of "I've had my AT for a week now and I can't find anything good. This detector sucks!" It's refreshing to see someone new come in and acknowledge that metal detecting has a learning curve and all detectors deserve time and perseverence to allow them to shine.

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help and comments.
I will learn more the more I use it I guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions