Threshold question
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fletch88
  • 1 Post By John-Edmonton
  • 1 Post By CaballoDeOro

Thread: Threshold question

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2015
    TN
    Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
    24 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Threshold question

Im new at MDing and have a LOT to learn. I have a Garrett AT Gold.
    Anyway I really dont like the constant buzzing sound in my ears through the headphones when the threshold is set to 1 or higher. When I select 00 or anything lower then there is no constant background buzzing sound at all and I seem to hear all the other target audios just fine. Where I hunt now and hope to be hunting will mostly be in quiet areas and I understand from the owners manual that I might want to increase the threshold in noisy areas if need be.
    Where do most of you set your threshold ? Do I need to tolerate the buzzing noise and leave the threshold higher ?
    My main question is, am I missing any targets with the threshold set to 00 ?

us
    Feb 2010
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Garrett AT Gold
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudball View Post
    Im new at MDing and have a LOT to learn. I have a Garrett AT Gold.
    Anyway I really dont like the constant buzzing sound in my ears through the headphones when the threshold is set to 1 or higher. When I select 00 or anything lower then there is no constant background buzzing sound at all and I seem to hear all the other target audios just fine. Where I hunt now and hope to be hunting will mostly be in quiet areas and I understand from the owners manual that I might want to increase the threshold in noisy areas if need be.
    Where do most of you set your threshold ? Do I need to tolerate the buzzing noise and leave the threshold higher ?
    My main question is, am I missing any targets with the threshold set to 00 ?
    My threshold setting is usually -5 and I'm nailing clad targets

us
    Mar 2015
    TN
    24 times
    Thats good to know.
    I just want to make sure that Im not loosing a chance to find something for the gain of just barely loosing that annoying buzzing sound.
    Thanks

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2359 times
    You want a slight threshold if you're in an area with deeper older targets. You can be alerted to deep targets whose signal is too weak to give a target response. Once you hunt with a threshold for a while you miss it if you use a machine without one
    Mudball likes this.

us
    Mar 2015
    TN
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch88 View Post
    You want a slight threshold if you're in an area with deeper older targets. You can be alerted to deep targets whose signal is too weak to give a target response. Once you hunt with a threshold for a while you miss it if you use a machine without one
    Im not real sure about me being where there are deeper older targets. I will try and learn my detector better for that reason.
    Thanks for the help

Mar 2005
    Canada
    Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
    2747 times
    The threshold is there to alert you of a possible deep target with a slight change of audio. If it's annoying, by all means turn it down.
    Mudball likes this.
    Wife + 4 kids (no grandkids yet)Orthopedics RN, photagraphy,writer, build electronic gizmos, previous hot air balloon pilot, coin collector for 40 years.

"METAL DETECTING IS A HOBBY AND HOBBIES ARE MEANT TO BE ENJOYED"

us
    Jun 2012
    Southwest MO
    Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
    69 times
    Metal Detecting
    I don't have the AT Gold, Mudball, but I did want to commend you on your general attitude. We see a lot of people with an approach of "I've had my AT for a week now and I can't find anything good. This detector sucks!" It's refreshing to see someone new come in and acknowledge that metal detecting has a learning curve and all detectors deserve time and perseverence to allow them to shine.
    Mudball likes this.
    ~ CdO ~

us
    Mar 2015
    TN
    24 times
    Thanks for the help and comments.
    I will learn more the more I use it I guess.

Sponsored Links