diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought this model from a thrift store.I couldn't help myself,it was only 10 bucks and looks brand new.Does anybody own or is anybody familiar with this unit? It seems like it works on air tests,I haven't actually used it in the field yet though.How old is this unit? I'd like to try it out on the beach in wet sand.Any info. will be appreciated as far as general settings or anything else goes.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not too many old Garrett users out there I guess.Everyone's using the ACE 250.Not to worry,I found the manual for this older model online. ::)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old Garrett Master hunter Groundhog,
with a 10" coil.

I air tested it when I bought it on EBay.
it's actually Pretty deep.

But the meter never worked.

I just keep it around, even though I'll never actually use it.

diggerodell

Jul 3, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV
Say, I just bought a Garrett ADS deepseeker at a yard sale for $15. I have been using a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. So this VLF/TR oldie is very different. I was able to download the handbook from the Garrett website. I've been out once coinshooting in the park, for about 1/2 hour and found a quarter and a brass drawer pull. I also noticed that I could pass over a pull tab without a hint of a peep from the detector. This ADS deepseeker dates from 1980, when it was a $500 top-of-the-line detector. It still works on all modes and with all functions. But it will take me a while to master it. There is a lot of machine, here, and it seems to hold its own against today's models. It makes my Tracker IV seem like a toy. I feel real lucky to have come across this machine.

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
You'll spend enough on 9V batteries trying to feed those dinosaurs to buy a newer detector. ;) My ADS III lives in my attic.

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
I bought an ACE 250 earlier this year (thanks to recommendations from TNet members ;D). However, I can't bear to let go of my ADS III (which I bought for about $450 in 1981, with an extra 12" coil). I also bought the two box attachment. The machine still works fine, and I will keep it should I ever do any cache or relic hunting. It does like those nine volt batteries though. :'(

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loved the old machine and have found most of my old bronze coins with them!

bigscrub

Jul 10, 2005
brandon,fla
Detector(s) used
minelab ex 2, wot,and joey coils, garrett deepseeker,whites 6000 di pro
hi diggummup, i have an ads as well as an ads 2 or 3 as well , these were very deep machines back in the 80,s and hate to say this...but a friend has a dfx and out at a park awhile back he was pissed about the depth he was getting from the dfx ...so i offered him one of the old garretts to use(my back up machines) from my trunk...he loved it, and said it was way deeper than his dfx....he only used it a short time though...complaining it was too heavy for him to use for very long!I loved these deep seekers and used to use them at old forts and schools here in fla...i think you will be suprised at the depth they get ...and i cant believe you guys are finding these units so cheap....think ill look around ...lol

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
I have a master hunter ADS 111. I got in 1981. I still use it when you have a good clean site to hunt. I hunt around 3 on the disc. mode. It still is a good dector. Lot's of luck. :-X

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
I have an old Garrett Master hunter Groundhog,
with a 10" coil.

I air tested it when I bought it on EBay.
it's actually Pretty deep.

But the meter never worked.

I just keep it around, even though I'll never actually use it.
its got a lamp shade on it and sits in the corner were the bong used to be ;)

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I cant see that the new detectors are much deeper than the older ones...My 5900D does about the same as my Friends new 1350....You got a good deal thats for sure....

Michigander2005

May 30, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III , Freedom 3, and GTP 1350
I have that machine bought new , also for water hunting back then bought a weighted coil with extra long cable on it. When water hunting I left the control box in rubber raft , used the removable arm rest as rest of the shaft for water hunting works great ;D

Alikhan

Aug 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
Just saw your comment. I was wondering if the coil could be trailed behind a boat with a 30 foot cable, with the control box in the boat. Would that work?
Alikhan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread