rexy

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
dana point/laguna niguel
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Ace 250, CEIA CMD PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I know everyone here has heard of garrett saying that the AT gold is not good in salt water. Recently I experimented with this idea, and thought by using a larger coil, the detector will become less sensitive letting you be able to maintain good depth in salt water. I bought the 15" Nel hunter coil and in Disc. 1 sens. 2 from high, and tres. at 0, I was able to pick up small pieces of jewelry at 12-15", and some dimes and quarters at 14-16" in the surf. I ground balanced every 10-25 feet I hunted, and was able to maintain very good depth and good sensitivity. While hunting, I did not pick up any ghost signals or false readings, but I dug some bits of iron even at the iron disc. all the way up. With the stock 8" coil, I did however manage to have the sensitivity up to 7/9 while in disc.2 only. I hope these tips will help you in working with your AT pro or AT Gold.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used at gold in saltwater so can't compare but it's not intended for use in it. The gold is a great relic and gold machine and does great in coins. There are better detectors for saltwater.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread