Which coil for the ATP?

VaMike

May 23, 2015
Port Republic, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Treasure Commander TC2X, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently purchased my ATP and instantly fell in love. I have a good bit of land to search, my problem is the land is very trashy. At one point in time one of my properties was a junk yard, but it also had some historical buildings (old school, business) on it. Which coils would you all recommend for a trashy area with a lot of iron junk targets. I want an easier treasure hunting experience. Also, what are the advantages of the different coils available? Sorry for all the questions, I'm definitely very green when it comes to MD I only have owned an ACE 150 before my ATP. Thanks in advance!:headbang:

-Mike

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nel Sharpshooter or Garrett 5x8

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the 5x8 is very capable and light.great for trashy spots

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oorrr...Nel has a new coil called the Snake. There's a video on YouTube, just search Nel Snake. It's more like a cross between a 5x8 and a little Sniper coil.

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a link

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And another

Havillah

May 22, 2005
San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Money Hunter TR;
Garrett GTP-1350;
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently looking at a smaller coil for my AT Pro, and I am impressed with that Nel Sake coil!

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
@Vamike
The ATP is a good machine, great choice. The advantage of the small coil (5x8 Garret ) is that it separates very nice in trashy area's, you can usually hear the good tones among the bad. It also has good pinpointing and surprisingly good depth (about 6 to 7 in) and also it is very light!!! You can also get closer to steel fences and post's and the EMI interference with the sensitivity crank up is minimal.

The Nell coil is well made and from I can gather may have more depth, it is made oversea's versus Garret (USA) but there are sellers here in the States but not sure if they are available yet.

Either will suit your needs perfectly, I use the 5x8 in trashy parks and yards a lot....hope this helps.

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The factory coil on the AT Pro works great. Go slow in trashy areas and grid.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Vamike
The ATP is a good machine, great choice. The advantage of the small coil (5x8 Garret ) is that it separates very nice in trashy area's, you can usually hear the good tones among the bad. It also has good pinpointing and surprisingly good depth (about 6 to 7 in) and also it is very light!!! You can also get closer to steel fences and post's and the EMI interference with the sensitivity crank up is minimal.

The Nell coil is well made and from I can gather may have more depth, it is made oversea's versus Garret (USA) but there are sellers here in the States but not sure if they are available yet.

Either will suit your needs perfectly, I use the 5x8 in trashy parks and yards a lot....hope this helps.

Don't undersell the Nel coils. They are awesome. I use the Storm even in trashy areas. Just go slow over the area and it will give up good coins in the middle of trash. I got a 1909 S wheat in a high trash area. It was 3 inches from a bottle cap. Sometimes I have to dig a trash target thats close so I can get a good pinpoint but it's worth it to me. I use the Storm everywhere but in the water. It makes the fishing weights sound huge.

OP
OP
VaMike

VaMike

May 23, 2015
Port Republic, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't undersell the Nel coils. They are awesome. I use the Storm even in trashy areas. Just go slow over the area and it will give up good coins in the middle of trash. I got a 1909 S wheat in a high trash area. It was 3 inches from a bottle cap. Sometimes I have to dig a trash target thats close so I can get a good pinpoint but it's worth it to me. I use the Storm everywhere but in the water. It makes the fishing weights sound huge.

@Vamike

I think after hearing tons of great things about the 5x8 I'm going to have to go with it. I am going to do a little more research tonight, but I have a feeling it will put the 5x8 over the Nell. I am dealing with a lot of iron junk... When I say a lot it is almost an understatement. I think after one of these coils and learning a few techniques/tricks it will help a lot.

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, 3/4 of the videos on YouTube of people using an AT Pro, they are using the 5x8 on it.

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other

I think the Nell coils are good actually and I think they will get more popular here eventually like they are over in Europe, I have a Nell Attack and it separates pretty good in trash and if it wasn't for the fact I have a 5x8 I probably would have gone with the Snake. Of cause you need to go slower and over lap your sweeps more with the smaller coils but they are still a good tool to have in your arsenal.

And as mentioned above the stock coil is good but only once you have clocked a fair bit of time on the machine to really understand it, I could pin point really well with it and I loved hearing the whispers it would tell me. With the 5x8, Stock and Nell Attack, I pretty confident of handling most conditions I might run across while detecting.

OP
OP
VaMike

VaMike

May 23, 2015
Port Republic, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the Nell coils are good actually and I think they will get more popular here eventually like they are over in Europe, I have a Nell Attack and it separates pretty good in trash and if it wasn't for the fact I have a 5x8 I probably would have gone with the Snake. Of cause you need to go slower and over lap your sweeps more with the smaller coils but they are still a good tool to have in your arsenal.

And as mentioned above the stock coil is good but only once you have clocked a fair bit of time on the machine to really understand it, I could pin point really well with it and I loved hearing the whispers it would tell me. With the 5x8, Stock and Nell Attack, I pretty confident of handling most conditions I might run across while detecting.

What conditions is the Nel attack coil good for?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

I use the Garrett 5" x 8" coil on my AT Pro and AT Gold (5"x8" standard coil) for trashy areas and relic hunting, great separation and very light.

Regards,

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What conditions is the Nel attack coil good for?

I originally got the Attack to sweep area's I have been over with smaller coils for the depth as well as for big area's, but I am going to try it for initial sweeps to see if it can clean up depending on amount of trash. If you want deeper and faster coverage then a bigger coil is good for that, if I can get to know it well enough trashy area's may not be a problem either...we will see.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Have A Sniper Coil If you Want to try it!!!! All You Have to Do Is Pay For Shipping Yep Shipping Let Me Know!!! I did Not Like it Its Really Small DD All the Way!!!! HH Chug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread