Apr 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Ham to the forum!

The AT Pro is a very capable machine on land, fresh water and dry sand. It will operate in the salt water wet sand with some adjustments which result in reduced depth.

I used the ATP for over 3 years and wondered why I was not finding many targets in wet sand and in the water. The 15" NEL Attack coil helped some but when I compared side by side with another
hunter who had a machine designed for salt water (Excalibur) I realized the limits of the excellent ATP. I was experiencing a depth limit of about 5" in the water. In dry sand I was getting 12 to 15 inches!

So if you are primarily doing beaches there are other choices that will serve you better. There are numerous threads here of the discussions of the the machines available in the various price ranges.
Don't forget to budget for a good sand scoop or you will get frustrated real fast.

If you do go the ATP route all new units have the stock coil and require the 5x8 as an optional purchase. Perhaps there is someone out there wanting to sell their unit with the extra coil?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tcornel is right about the ATP at the wet salt water sand. The thing will beep with nothing under the coil. All single freq detectors will suffer in the wet sand. A better choice would be a BHID, CZ-21 or CZ-20, CZ-6a or other multi freq machines.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tedyoh, only charter members can sell here. If you wish to sell please become a Charter Member....

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Were it me?, I would call Bart at Big Boys hobbies, I am sure he will set you up right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions