Is $400 a good deal for a GTI 2500 with 5 coils?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Yes! Buy it and learn it well. It's a great coin shooter plus a nice relic hunter in true all metal mode.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
solid machine,great deal.jump all over it

OP
OP
M

mlrosier

Greenie
May 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy that is offering the GTI 2500 is also selling a like-new Minelab X-Terra 705 for $350 with two coils. After looking at reviews and current pricing, it's a newer detector, and sells for close to $1000 now for the dual coil package. I think $350 is a steal if I'm not mistaken. Better than the GTI 2500?
Also, the 705 comes with 6" and 9" 7.5Khz coils. Are those good for prospecting or no?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, I'd buy 'em both!! I believe the coils with the XTerra are general use coils, the higher frequency Xterra coils are the ones specifically for gold hunting. If the GTI is an older machine you can send it to Garrett for a check-up for a small fee, they are very good about it. You could probably buy both and sell one for a small profit if you only wish to keep one. Remember it is always good to have more than one machine!!

OP
OP
M

mlrosier

Greenie
May 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so torn. The guy had TWO terra 705's. Each one was suppose to come with a Concentric coil and an Elliptical coil for prospecting. He sold one of them today before I got ahold of him, and the buyer took BOTH elliptical coils. Now the one he is wanting to sell me come with a 9" and 6" 7.5khz concentric coil, which from my understanding, don't work for finding gold or meteorites. After that, I looked around again, and I've found an AT PRO for $450, and an AT Gold for $500. I'm torn. I hear the AT PRO can prospect with the coil it comes with. And obviously the AT Gold would too. But out of all of the detectors, the 705 has the best marks IF you have the DD coils at 18.75khz. I dont' have the extra money to buy the prospecting coils. Kind upset at the guy with the Garrett and 705. He put up the ad listing specifics, and then parted out. I'm supposed to meet him tomorrow morning to look at the Garrett and 705 to make a decision, if he isn't annoyed by me. I have a $400 budget, and that didn't come easily. I don't want to make the wrong choice. Any advice?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
at gold and your done,already has gold coil and additionally is waterproof to 10 ft.ya might drop it in creek...no problem.rain no problem either

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT GOLD and PRO are hard to beat for the price. They can even be used to go water hunting if you get bored with the land hunting.
There is a AT GOLD local to me on craigslist for 450.00 if I remember right. I am very tempted to try one of those out.
I would watch some YOUTUBE videos on the detectors you are interested in and start from there.

http://providence.craigslist.org/for/4956636188.html

I'm so torn. The guy had TWO terra 705's. Each one was suppose to come with a Concentric coil and an Elliptical coil for prospecting. He sold one of them today before I got ahold of him, and the buyer took BOTH elliptical coils. Now the one he is wanting to sell me come with a 9" and 6" 7.5khz concentric coil, which from my understanding, don't work for finding gold or meteorites. After that, I looked around again, and I've found an AT PRO for $450, and an AT Gold for $500. I'm torn. I hear the AT PRO can prospect with the coil it comes with. And obviously the AT Gold would too. But out of all of the detectors, the 705 has the best marks IF you have the DD coils at 18.75khz. I dont' have the extra money to buy the prospecting coils. Kind upset at the guy with the Garrett and 705. He put up the ad listing specifics, and then parted out. I'm supposed to meet him tomorrow morning to look at the Garrett and 705 to make a decision, if he isn't annoyed by me. I have a $400 budget, and that didn't come easily. I don't want to make the wrong choice. Any advice?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions