San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Money Hunter TR;
Garrett GTP-1350;
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[SUP]Hello, my friends.

I have a new AT Pro International, which I am just getting to know. Though I have been detecting since 1977, I sure have a lot to learn! I have watched the included DVD, and also about a dozen AT Pro videos on YouTube. So far, it seems to be a lot noisier than previous detctors. Pinpointing is perhaps not as good as my Garrett GTP-1350, or perhaps I am not doing something correctily.

A few days ago I was trying it out in my own back yard. Got a strong signal, though I had iron notched out. It turned out to be the lid of a sardine can, burried at 13 inches. Probably left over from the building crew who built our house.

We will be at a beach on the Pacific side of Mexico in a few weeks. i am looking forward to detecting both on the beach and in the shallow saltwater. (Yes: Got the waterproof headphones.)Any suggestions are appreciated. I do not have a pinpointer yet.

Thanks in advance!

Steve, central Mexico

[/SUP]

Last edited:

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It can be difficult in the wet and salt water. You may need to turn the sensitivity way down, and of course Ground Balance often. Even then, it won't be quiet, will be a bit frustrating if you have ever used a proper multi frequency detector in those types of areas (Excalibur, etc).

On the sand it should work great. I was hell bent on getting the AT Pro to work well in wet and saltwater. I tried for a few years. Eventually, I realized the best I could get out of it in those areas was microscopic compared to what a Excal or similar can do out of the box. Definitely report back your results however, as not all beaches are mineralized the same. I was dealing with South Florida (Atlantic) beaches and Mexico (pacific) may be quite different.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got mine to work(not great,but not too bad)in the wet salt by using std mode coin and sens 3 down...hope it helps.All single freq.detectors struggle in the wet.make sure you have a long handled quality scoop or dont even bother.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit it three times hard with a hammer, then get a pulse induction or multi-frequency machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread