ACE 250 for meteorite hunting?

beniy

Greenie
May 13, 2007
Hi!
sorry if this is a stupid question maybe but im new to metal detecting..
I am interested in a metal detector for meteorite hunting and I was thinking of the Garrett Ace250. I wanted to know if this particular detector is also capable of detecting nickel which is vital for meteorite hunting? Would it detect nickel composite in a rock in the all metal mode or would it discriminate it?
Thank you.
Ben

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
It will pick up meterorites. Set it to AM and dig it all. But it's best to hunt in areas where they have been found. Just going out in your yard and digging everything would no be productive.

OP
OP
B

beniy

Greenie
May 13, 2007
Yes, I am aware of that ..I know where to go and how they look like a nd all just wanted to know if the ACE 250 can also detect nickel since it is not important to normal coin/relic hunters. But if it detects the nickel in the all-metal mode than thats just fine 4 me thanx!!!

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are nickle-iron.. Before the metal detectors people used magnet on the end of a long stick.. they would walk along and touch the magnet to any suspected meteorite.. If it showed magnetism they would collect them for further tests..
Ray

OP
OP
B

beniy

Greenie
May 13, 2007
I know about the magnets but a metal detector is just much more sophisticated and much faster and it has the advantege of detecting meteorites below the ground, not visible for the magnet-man....:D So if the ACE 250 can detect Iron and nickel, that should be perfect, its in my budget and I dont need a more fancy detector since a meteorite is only a piece of junk metal or hot rock for the detector so I guess I should be fine with the ACE 250 or does anyone think diferently?

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Yes, I disagree. The 250 is a top of the line detector disguised as a $200.00 dollar unit! You would have to spend $500.00 to get tone ID, TID, true notch, 12 segments and power equal to the 250. This detector will be with you a long time. Just remember that all detectors are classified as "metal detectors" and meteorites are metal.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ace will be great... I mention above that they are not pure nickle.. So almost any detector will find them.. But for the money get the ace!!
Ray

OP
OP
B

beniy

Greenie
May 13, 2007
Thank you guys!!! you have been a great help and made my mind up on buying an ACE 250...a good choice i think thanx again!! both of you are also active in the findmall forum right? you posted responds on the same topic I put there...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread