Coil for at pro

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett 5x8 or Nel Sharpshooter, or the new Nel Snake

OP
OP
monte952003

monte952003

May 11, 2014
Blairsville PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
GARRETT AT Pro
GARRETT GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the 5x8 is it worth the money for the nel?

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe for one of the big coils, but if you already have the 5x8, I wouldn't get a Nel Sharpshooter because they are close to the same coil. If you are looking for a coil to just leave on, stick with the 5x8.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The 8.5 " x 11" coil is the best average use coil. It gets great depth, good separation and good ID on coin sized objects. The 4.5" sniper coil is the best coil for hunting tot lots, along chain link fences and beside concrete where rebar is present. It is the coil which will allow you to get closest to metal objects. The 5" x 8" coil works well in tight spots, where you still need reasonable depth and ID for coin sized objects and even tinier objects. I can't speak for the Nel coils, as I don't own one. As for as using large coils, I don't like using them. They miss tiny objects, miss targets due to masking when too many targets are under the coil, or perform poorly in high mineralized soil. What I have done, is put a sniper coil on my ACE 250, a 5" x 8" coil on my AT Gold and a 9" x 12" coil on my AT Pro. This way, I can utilize each coil on a detector I know well and not be bothered switching coils. If I had one coil to use on my AT Machines, I would use the 9" x 12" concentric coil. I just happen to like how this coil performs. It is sensitive to tiny targets, gets great depth in my soil, is the most accurate pinpointing coil and gives the most accurate target ID out of all the coils.

Check out my channel for more information on the 9" x 12" concentric coil. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8CORF4dsmopibINy0fWzGA

coil comparisons.jpg

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would agree with john if I prinarily hunted open areas and beaches...the stock hands down.I hunt the forest most of the time,snow play,ski areas and old mining areas....the 5x8 is amazing in these areas and simply never comes off my atp unless I'm going on the rare park or beach hunt.As a plus the 5x8 is alot easier to manage on steeper terrain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread