Any experience with the GTI 2500/depth multiplier coil?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
addon.jpg
Here's A Field Test By Andy Sabisch:

Garrett Electronics Bloodhound Attachment
By Andy Sabisch
From Page 36
June, 1990 issue of Lost Treasure

I had just completed field testing the Grand Master II and was discussing the results with Dick Stout, Garretts Marketing Director. During our conversation, I asked him how well the Bloodhound attachment worked on the detector as I had used one several years back with somewhat disappointing results.
He said that the performance of the Bloodhound had been improved and that tests conducted at the factory showed it quite sensitive to objects normally searched for with a two-box type detector. When he offered one for me to try in the field, I readily accepted as I was anxious to see how the performance had been improved.
BACKGROUND
The Bloodhound attachment is a searchcoil that is easily mounted on any of the Garrett ADS-series detectors or the Grand Master models I and II. The purpose of the Bloodhound is to inexpensively convert your present Garrett metal detector into a two-box type detector. Many treasure hunters do not truly understand what a two-box detector will or will not do for them.
The main purpose of the two-box is to ignore targets smaller than approximately six-inches square and allow the user to find larger targets at depths of up to several feet. It also allows one to cover a large area in a relatively short amount of time. These features are extremely useful if you are involved in cache hunting, relic hunting, bottle hunting, or need to locate buried tanks and pipes in the construction business. The advantage of the Garrett Bloodhound is that it allows you to buy only one detector for all types of treasure hunting and only change the searchcoil when the need arises.
The Bloodhound is actually two searchcoils, each measuring 12 inches by 17 inches. One of them is out in front of the control housing and is horizontal with the ground; the second is mounted directly behind the control housing in a vertical position. The coil in the front is the transmitter coil which sends the signal into the ground and the coil in the back is the receiver coil which receives the signal coming back from the ground with the target information.
The biggest difference in using the Bloodhound versus a standard searchcoil is in the method of scan-fling an area. Rather than sweeping the coil from side to side, the Blood-hound is held at your side as you walk a straight line. This allows you to completely cover a path nearly 18 inches wide in each pass resulting in much quicker coverage of a given area even when compared to a 12-inch searchcoil.
As I mentioned previously, the Bloodhound is compatible with all of the ADS-series detectors as well as both of the Grand Masters. While the specific adjustment and techniques described in the rest of this article were done with the Grand Master II, the instruction manual that comes with the other detectors, combined with the instruction booklet that comes with the Bloodhound, will allow you to obtain similar results with the other models.
INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
The Bloodhound arrived in a compact box, extremely well packed, as is customary with all Garrett products. I quickly read over the accompanying instruction booklet and easily assembled the Bloodhound. Mounting the searchcoil on the Grand Master II took less than a minute, including removing the standard shaft and eight-inch coil assembly.
I did find it easier to connect the cable that goes from the control housing to the Bloodhound before inserting the shaft assembly due to the location of the connector on the control housing, but it can be connected even after the shaft is in place.
The Grand Master II will automatically identify that the Bloodhound is attached when turned on and will select the All-Metal mode of operation. On the other detectors that the Bloodhound is compatible with, you will have to select the All-Metal mode since the discriminate mode does not work while using the Bloodhound.
On the Grand Master II, the tuning procedure is extremely easy. By pressing the ON touch pad, the detector is turned on, and the All-Metal mode is selected based on the searchcoil installed, and the Audio Threshold is set to Preset. If headphones are being used, which is recommended, the threshold can be lowered by using the touch pads on the side of the control housing. At this point, the detector is ready to begin searching.
Two fellow treasure hunters, Brent Turner and Gerry Jones, stopped over to see the Bloodhound and help me check out its performance. Due to the extreme sensitivity of the Bloodhound, we were unable to test it inside the house. We took it outside and laid a metal bar stool on the ground under my deck. Turning the detector on, I began to walk slowly toward the bar stool which was about three feet under the deck.
As the front searchcoil began to pass over the target, the audio level began to increase noticeably. The volume continued to build until the rear searchcoil approached the target. As I continued, the volume dropped until the rear coil was directly over the target at which point the threshold returned to the preset level. All three of us were impressed with the sensitivity of the Bloodhound considering the target was three feet below the deck and the detector was being held one foot above it.
We tried two other top-of-the-line detectors with 11- and 12-inch searchcoils in the All-Metal mode, and were unable to pick up the stool at the depth which the Bloodhound had provided such a clear signal. The other detectors were also plagued by the nails in the deck and gave a response over each one; this had not happened with the Bloodhound.
We then went down to the street where the storm drains and culverts are buried.
Looking in the storm drain, we could see that the drain pipes were about three feet in diameter and were buried approximately six-to eight-feet deep. Turning the detector on and adjusting the audio threshold to a faint level, I started to walk over the buried pipes.
As with the bar stool, the Grand Master responded with a clear signal as the front searchcoil began to pass over the target and peaked just before the rear searchcoil passed over the center of the target. I was even able to get a positive signal while holding the loops two feet off of the ground.
Due to the configuration of the Bloodhound, pinpointing a target is done differently than with a conventional searchcoil. The drawing shows the response of the detector as the Bloodhound passes over a target. As the front searchcoil begins to pass over the target, the audio response will start to increase.
It will continue to increase until the rear searchcoil begins to approach the target center, at which time the audio level will start to drop off. The method of pinpointing described in the manual for the Bloodhound recommends that when you get a signal make a mark on the ground with your foot directly under the handle of the metal detector when the volume reaches its highest level.
Repeat this process by approaching the target from two or three directions and the target will then be in the center of the marks. I found that, with a little practice, pinpointing a target with the Bloodhound became almost as easy as with a standard-sized loop.
FIELD TEST
Having familiarized myself with the response of the Grand Master II with the Bloodhound attachment on known targets, I decided to take it to an old stone foundation, that I had hunted on several occasions in the past. While a few good targets had come from this site, it was littered with a great deal of small pieces of tin and broken barbed wire, as well as bullet fragments and shell casings from the local hunters.
Turning the detector on, I immediately discovered that the Bloodhound was picking up the GI shovel that I had on my belt. In order to avoid any interference from the shovel, I laid it down and started to search near what had been the front of the foundation as this was the area with the most trash in it. After only a few steps, I received a signal and proceeded to pinpoint the target. At approximately 12 inches, I found an old wash basin about 10 inches in diameter.
As mentioned in the operating instructions that come with the Bloodhound, I noticed that the threshold signal would vary slightly as I walked, due to the high mineral content of the ground.
The Bloodhound is actually detecting the mineralization in the ground to a slight degree, and the threshold will increase or decrease as the unit is raised or lowered in relation to the ground. It is best not to lower the threshold level to eliminate this as it does not take long to become accustomed to this characteristic, and it ensures that the unit is maintained at the most sensitive setting while searching.
As I continued to cover the area, I was impressed to see that the detector was totally ignoring the smaller pieces of trash. The next signal was near a large bush and turned out to be a syrup can at a little more than 14 inches deep. I only found two more targets in the area in front of the foundation, but both were at depths of over 15 inches.
I then went over to the area near where the barn had been. After covering about half of the open area with no signals, I received a weak signal and proceeded to pinpoint it. After digging down nearly 18 inches and not finding anything, I checked the hole again. The signal had gotten stronger, but was still deeper. At a little more than two feet, I found a rusted bucket that fell apart as I removed it from the hole. While it wasnt worth anything, it showed me how sensitive the Bloodhound is on larger-sized targets.
The next site I took the Bloodhound to was the abandoned Cherokee gold mine which still has some foundations visible. My wife and I had searched this area previously with standard metal detectors and had made several interesting and valuable finds. I started to search around the foundation of the old stamp mill and was pleased to see that the detector did not respond to the tinfoil and pull tabs that littered the area.
The first signal I received turned out to be a large, rusted piece of machinery at about 18 inches. After searching the rest of the front of the foundation with no more signals, I walked to the back of the building and continued to search. Over the next hour, I recovered several more pieces of machinery from the mill at depths ranging from 12 to 30 inches. My best find was the last one of the day a stamp from the mill which was almost two feet down.
I tried the Bloodhound Out in several areas and, while I didnt make any truly valuable finds, I was able to find targets deeper than I would have with a conventional searchcoil in areas that were nearly impossible to hunt due to a high concentration of smaller targets.
SUMMARY
My field test of the Grand Master II showed it to be an extremely versatile detector, and the Bloodhound attachment completed the package. The purchase of the Bloodhound will allow you to convert your conventional metal detector into a deep-seeking two-box type detector at a fraction of the cost of buying a second detector.
Another useful feature is that the Bloodhound breaks down into an extremely compact package which allows you to pack the detector, a standard searchcoil, and the Bloodhound into areas where space is a premium.
If you are interested in relic hunting, cache hunting, or bottle hunting, and are looking for a deep-seeking detector that can cover a large area in a relatively short amount of time, you should take a close look at the Bloodhound attachment before you invest in a second detector.
If you are involved in the construction trade and need a detector to find buried pipes, cables or tanks, the Bloodhound and a Garrett detector would make the ideal combination. You would be able to use it in the business during the week, and switch to the conventional searchcoil on the weekend for other treasure hunting.
While the Bloodhound is not for everyone, it has been designed to fill a specific treasure hunting need and it does it quite well. Stop by your nearest Garrett dealer for a demonstration of this interesting accessory.

OP
OP
Pick_axe

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, John. That reads like a genuine test. Is the Grand Master similar to the GTI 2500?

suntannedgem

Jan 29, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Pro with 9.5", 12" & Super Sniper coils, Garrett Treasure Hound Deep Depth Multiplier, Garrett Pin Pointer Pro II, Bounty Hunter Legacy 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Report John... Only helps confirm why I bought the Garrett GTI 2500 with the Treasure Hound. If anyone else has this set up or experience with one please respond with any tips. Thanks Suntannedgem.8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread