ACE 250

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A hundred hours use and you can cherry pick easier.
If you could discrim all tab and cap type conductive items you'd be missing the rare good stuff too.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the issue with the ace 250 is this -- only having 12 blocks greatly limits how much "target separation" one can get ==so you wind up with one block that comingles --nickles / gold / pulltabs all in the same block ..so to get the goodies you gotta dig all the trash as well --now to hunt coins like copper cents (pre 82) and clad dimes & quarters and silver coins --the 250 is fine .. but for gold items --unless your a dig it all type --nope

now for $279 --the 0 to 99 "numbers" display of the delta 4000 by teknetics offers much more target separation (8 times as much) --12 vs 99 ..so it can sort out trash from treasure much better

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
the issue with the ace 250 is this -- only having 12 blocks greatly limits how much "target separation" one can get ==so you wind up with one block that comingles --nickles / gold / pulltabs all in the same block ..so to get the goodies you gotta dig all the trash as well --now to hunt coins like copper cents (pre 82) and clad dimes & quarters and silver coins --the 250 is fine .. but for gold items --unless your a dig it all type --nope

now for $279 --the 0 to 99 "numbers" display of the delta 4000 by teknetics offers much more target separation (8 times as much) --12 vs 99 ..so it can sort out trash from treasure much better

You don't need yet another entry level metal detector. The ACE 250 was and still is today a great coin hunting/jewelry machine. Things (audio response VS. good targets + visual screen) will soon make more sense as you put some more hours on the ACE. You might want to consider getting another coil to help with your hunts. Sniper coil gets close to metal equipment, concentric coils don't respond to trash as good targets like DD coils. Cheaper then getting yet another machine to learn. And.....keep digging those pull tabs. Frustrating?....yes, but that's where gold rings also show up. Keep at it....things will improve.

Moving-picture-treasure-chest-with-shining-jewels-animated-gif.gif

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
save all the cash you find and move up to a AT Pro. More you hunt, the more you find !

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
finding nothing but pull tabs and bottle caps. ELIM did not seem to :BangHead:

This was me for the first few hunts with my 250. Dug hundreds of bottle caps and nails that looked like they were coins on the screen. Over time I learned to go slower and listen to the tones rather than just looking at the display. You can tell a lot just from the type of tone it emits, any kind of low grunt is usually junk. A clear, repeatable high tone is usually worth digging although you will still get fooled by pull tabs once in a while. Keep practicing and persistence will pay off. Hunted with my 250 for 3 years before cashing in all the clad coins I found and upgrading to an AT Gold. Good luck and happy hunting!:thumbsup:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
This was me for the first few hunts with my 250. Dug hundreds of bottle caps and nails that looked like they were coins on the screen. Over time I learned to go slower and listen to the tones rather than just looking at the display. You can tell a lot just from the type of tone it emits, any kind of low grunt is usually junk. A clear, repeatable high tone is usually worth digging although you will still get fooled by pull tabs once in a while. Keep practicing and persistence will pay off. Hunted with my 250 for 3 years before cashing in all the clad coins I found and upgrading to an AT Gold. Good luck and happy hunting!:thumbsup:

That was an excellent piece of experience/advice you just posted. I hope others take notice! :thumbsup:

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll always dig some trash, especially if you're on the look out for gold (it often rings up the same as pulltabs). But this sounds more like frustration born of unrealistic expectations. Metal detecting isn't a "pick up, go out, find treasure" deal. It takes time, patience and a whole lotta swingin' and diggin' before you know your detector well enough to tell a pulltab from a diamond ring. And even then you'll still dig trash now and then.

It would be more profitable but not nearly as much fun if they were treasure detectors. :)

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
finding nothing but pull tabs and bottle caps. ELIM did not seem to :BangHead:

I hear your frustration there KB. I bought a 250 three years ago for a secondary (grandson and better half backup etc.) unit. Also at the same time I bought a mid range F series fisher.
A short time ago I added an AT PRO to the lot for water since the grandson is getting bigger and showed some interest in the lakes.

I realized the difference in the detectors right away. What was more important is they all have something in common once you learn the language of each.
They all have their own way of telling you when some piece of junk was trying to pass it self off as something of value

The answer here to having success with any machine is( and I cannot stress this enough) Repeatability. The higher end machines have more ways of identifying the non repeatable signals but units like the Ace series will still have their tells. Look for that flickering between the icons in the display such as iron, weather they are notched in or not. This may be the reason for that non repeatable high tone. Hint, its the rust from the iron that many times become ghost like when you try to dig them until they vanish completely as the soil particles break up into nothingness. Try pinpointing that non repeatable high tone to see if the target is actually in the same spot as the high tone is. Most of the time you will find a low tone iron signal 6" to a foot or more away, or a deep buried can. The things you don't hear and see can mean as much as some things you do like the length of a tone or a quick flicker between icons or even tone ranges. The F70 with TID taught me a lot about general detector behavior which applies to the Ace also. The AT PRO is teaching me even more as to the behavior of the Ace series since they are closer in similarities than you might thing. Slow down and things will become more evident and above all, have fun. Hope this helps-----------IB

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread