Is the AT Pro Junk?

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night, I buried 10 objects in my yard. Penny, dime, penny with nails, nickle with aluminum can, ect. Today, my buddy and I took our AT pro's out to try to learn the pro mode in my yard. Lets just say that the machines, did not hardly pick up anything, in both settings. We even used 2 different size coils. We had the hole open, to where you could see the dime, passed the coil over, and nothing. I'd say the coins were about 4-6" deep, so there should be no reason they were not detected. Even used all 4 frequencies. So does this mean these machines aren't as good as they claim to be?

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got to be doing something wrong. Make sure you have tuned the machine. ( ground balance, sensitivity ) make sure all your connections are tight. I have had great luck with mine. Love it. Have found coins at 6 inches and bullets at 9+. Read your manual, you have a great machine.

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the thing. We both did all of that, and we got almost the same results. I don't understand how 2 different machines can be doing this.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's because you just buried them. Someone with more knowledge will chime in. I have a test garden but it had been there over a year when I got my atp. I'll be glad to hear what others have to say

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most detectors don't work very well with freshly buried targets. Usually takes several years for a test garden to sound off like a natural drop would. You can be sure that that AT series instruments from Garrett will perform well, it just takes some time to learn their language as with any detector.

Good luck with your future hunting. I'm sure things will improve over time, usually around 100 hours, or so...

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Now if you had buried your targets several years ago, your results would be much better. Is the AT Pro Junk? Of course not, nor are other detectors. With the newly targets buried, expect the laws of chemistry and physics working against you. You will get similar results using a lot of different brands/makes of metal detectors.

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
Time in the ground usually only changes the VDI reading and possibly tone, at 4 to 6 inches there is no reason why they would not hit on them. You did not say if they worked on the coins on the ground, the stock coil will go 6 to 10 with no trouble. Also make sure you ground balance and head phones help (I hate using the speaker)

Make sure the battery's are good because that will effect sensitivity and of cause connections. I use PRO mode and nothing else half the time, I don't notch out or discrim except when I get bored and try to cherry pick certain type of objects just for kicks.

Are they used detectors or new? are you getting tones but hardly nothing at 4 to 6 inches or deeper? more info on how you using them and what settings may help in getting more performance from your machines. The ATP is a good all round detector and if you are not getting tones at depth then something is wrong.

Good luck and keep us posted and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this little dilemma.

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our main goal was to learn the pro method. I'm afraid to learn pro on an actual site. I don't want to miss any targets, but if you think it's the freshly planted coins causing the issue, then I will go with that. It was just odd how a open hole would not pick up the coin, but it picked up the coin when we laid it on top of the ground.

Last edited:

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try covering the coins, and tamping it down. Then try the test again. Depending on the amount of mineralization, that could affect the outcome with the open hole...

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
You might try covering the coins, and tamping it down. Then try the test again. Depending on the amount of mineralization, that could affect the outcome with the open hole...

And it doesn't help having a coin in an open hole, surrounded by mineralized dirt. Covering the hole allows the ground balancing feature to work properly, on the matrix, as it should. Excellent point!

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you didnt get those atps from alibabba.kidding.pro mode should have no problem hitting thosa at 6"...likely there is crap in your coil covers or you ground balanced over metal.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please share your settings and start up routine. May help in trying to solve this issue.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You either have the sensitivity turned way down, or the disc turned way up.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No the AT Pro is not junk. They suck at a saltwater beach in the wet sand, but all single freq detectors will do that. Listen to John-Edmonton and Bigfoot. Where did you buy the detectors? Are they Chinese knock offs?

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We both purchased from reputable sources. He even bought his from a dealer in Gettysburg PA. We had holes both open and filled with dirt. Had sensitivity both high and low. Got more of the one way hits than the two hits from sweeping side to side. As for start up, I turn on, factory reset, ground balance, move to standard coin setting, iron discr to 40. Sensitivity to 2 bars below the highest point.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could there be electrical interference- dog fence, cables etc?

Turn off one of the machines- were they too close? Interested to see how you get it sorted.

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were at least 20-40 feet apart sometimes. I even had mine off at one point, and we had different frequencies. I just measured that we were about 100ft from power lines also.

Last edited:

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
None of this is really adding up for me. If you were making these complaints about just one AT Pro, I'd say "send it back to Garrett to be checked" but with two ATs acting the same way, it's harder to make that call. I suppose it is possible you have two defective units, but that seems unlikely. It seems that every suggestion someone comes up with, you have an answer ready that indicates there is something inherently wrong with all AT Pros. Put it this way: Do you think that if AT Pros were as bad as you seem to think, they would have sold as many as they have? This forum would be nothing but complaints about being ripped off by Garrett. My experience with the AT Pro is that it is a very capable machine, especially for the price, but it does take time to learn it fully.

Here's my only suggestion, which may or may not help: Watch some YouTube videos of people hunting trashy sites using the AT Pro in Pro Zero Mode. Listen to the AT being typically chatty in trashy ground. Then compare that to what you are experiencing. I'd say that if your experience is very different, send the detectors back to Garrett for a health check. If it's similar to what you see in the videos, it's most likely user error (in that you just haven't learned the machine well enough). If you want to use an AT in Pro Zero (which you should: it's where it shines) on trashy sites, you have to develop an ear for solid, repeatable signals.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned 5 AT Pros so far and all have worked very well. I have found my share of barber dimes at the 8" mark and even deeper with the NEL Tornado coil. I would try to start from scratch, new location, new holes, different targets. Fresh batteries, GB over verified clean ground. Try using no discrimination at first and max sensitivity and see if you get a response for the targets. If so, Slowly increase discrim while only lowering the sensitivity to stabilize the machine.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I don't trust nail board or air test. You can't duplicate long buried targets. Go hunting and learn by digging old naturally buried targets for that is what you're after anyway. Best way to learn is to dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread