Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find the issue with your AT Pro?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The water temp in the gulf is in the 80's. It isn't like taking a detector out of a car that has reached 110° and into a 65° lake or stream. With the a/c on in the car, temperatures should not have been an issue.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not saying that was the cause, just saying a hot detector placed in cool water will act like a vacuum if there are any cracks in coil cable or housing..

Not everyone protects their detectors like some of us. A detector sitting in hot sun in back seat even in a car with AC will get hot if not protected from direct sunlight...

Something in common for both to fail sane way at approximately sane time...

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
I'm thinking mine failed at the pinpoint button. Once it was submerged the pinpoint stopped working, then 20 min later it was dead

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
I'll pay for the repair since it is out of warranty, I love my AT Pro and plan on keeping it as a back up and or loaner machine.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find the issue with your AT Pro?

Not yet, Im driving up there on Thursday and they are going to let me know what happen to them. Its a shame because I loved the ATP...but as mentioned above, its time for a change and I can use this as a good backup or loaner

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Terrible odds.....2 ATs in a couple of days. Yet, I have been doing countless water hunts with the machine submerged for hours with no issues. I hope Garrett gets you back real quick!

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrible odds.....2 ATs in a couple of days. Yet, I have been doing countless water hunts with the machine submerged for hours with no issues. I hope Garrett gets you back real quick!

Im going to their HQ tomorrow morning. I have hunted many times in wet conditions with no problems. It was odd to have both machines quit at the same time. But Garrett has always been good to me

Last edited:

pull_tab21

Feb 9, 2012
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever find out what zapped them?...Hot to cold? Let us know buddy.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever find out what zapped them?...Hot to cold? Let us know buddy.

I ended up having to fly out earlier then expected the day I was planning on taking them back.

I WILL for sure have an update next Friday thou...I'm curious to know what is going on as well..and what its gonna cost me. I figured if they can "fix" it and replace the face unit, or whatever they do, I wouldn't mind dropping 100-150 bucks on it...but if its gonna be in the 200+ range...I might just scrap it

IMDIGGINIT

Greenie
Feb 14, 2013
Mineola,tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago my AT Gold leaked water behind the face. It was the first time I used it in the water. My warranty ran out in February but Garrett fixed it for free. Sent it in in Monday and got it back on Friday. I had read on another forum that earlier AT Pro's were being assembled with the faceplate gasket in wrong and it would cause leaks. I'm sure they will take car of you. They always stand behind anything I have bought. My AT Pro has never leaked and it has been in 4'-5' of water.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago my AT Gold leaked water behind the face. It was the first time I used it in the water. My warranty ran out in February but Garrett fixed it for free. Sent it in in Monday and got it back on Friday. I had read on another forum that earlier AT Pro's were being assembled with the faceplate gasket in wrong and it would cause leaks. I'm sure they will take car of you. They always stand behind anything I have bought. My AT Pro has never leaked and it has been in 4'-5' of water.

Thats good to know! My good buddy JCOBB had time to send his back and they told him the whole mother board needed replaced and it would run around 150, plus they would replace the housing unit, screen etc.

Im dropping my off next week and im guessing the same issues. Fingers crossed!, even with 150 cost, its worth having a practically new machine for a backup

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ATP did the same thing on the last day of a trip to Florida. Upon return it would not fire up. Water under the screen. Garrett replace several parts including 2 circuit boards. Luckily under warranty.

Be sure to read up on the seals in the CTX 3030 which is what I now use. There are many threads on cleaning, etc. when doing under water use. The answer seems to be replacing the stock seals with slightly larger ones. I just use silicone grease and clean real well to be sure there isn't any small pieces of sand in there lodged in the grease.

I would hate to see you have a bad experience with the 3030 even if it is under warranty. I still have my ATP but have not turned in on for a year now. Of course it took almost the whole year to understand the 3030 with lots to learn still.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ATP did the same thing on the last day of a trip to Florida. Upon return it would not fire up. Water under the screen. Garrett replace several parts including 2 circuit boards. Luckily under warranty.

Be sure to read up on the seals in the CTX 3030 which is what I now use. There are many threads on cleaning, etc. when doing under water use. The answer seems to be replacing the stock seals with slightly larger ones. I just use silicone grease and clean real well to be sure there isn't any small pieces of sand in there lodged in the grease.

I would hate to see you have a bad experience with the 3030 even if it is under warranty. I still have my ATP but have not turned in on for a year now. Of course it took almost the whole year to understand the 3030 with lots to learn still.
Thaks for the info!

I too just got the 3030 and took it for my first water hunt, which i was deathly afraid to get wet...But i have heard the issues with the o-rings.I have ordered 50 of them that should be here in the next couple weeks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread