AT Pro Mode

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I made the jump from standard to pro mode, with my AT Pro, and there is a couple of things that have me scratchin my head.

1. I get a good repeatable tone, but no number or depth reading?
2. I have a repeatable tone, with a number, but then the number disappears?
3. I get a tone, but the sound of the tone doesn't match up with where the number should be? High ring- low number

I know pro takes time, so just trying to get some answers from the experts.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a ATP lover but can tell you that all displays are not accurate when target is deep, if it displays at all. The examples you gave are common with the "pro.":BangHead:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a ATP lover but can tell you that all displays are not accurate when target is deep, if it displays at all. The examples you gave are common with the "pro.":BangHead:

I was an ATP lover and Sandman is right. Those are all common. From what you are describing, it sounds like you were going over junk. What helped me alot was to go to a place that i knew had alot of coins (modern) and it will help you get a hang of what GOOD signals sound like. I typically stay away from clad filled soil, but its a great way to learn a machine. I did that when I son started and it helped him figure out targets very quick

best of luck! Once you get it... You will "Get it"

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did notice that pro mode seems to pick up a lot more noise than standard, and my 8x10 coil picked up signals that my friends 5x8 did not.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am now running the ATP at Pro -wide open-one notch back on sans.--AND GROUND BALANCE at every location change //
Im getting less noise and more targets than ever before// If I get a lot of grunts I iron desc. to 30 or so// Perry

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if it shows any missing info it is very deep.sound ALWAYS trumps vdi numbers on the pro and others.Often the machine will be on the cusp of rejecting an item but its a close call,it may be intermittant sounding off.iron audio will determine if that is what is happening.it is common for any vlf machine to declare deep,and/or larger iron as a high tone.the iron audio button is for these signals,press it and you may hear the iron grunt you have descrimed out.then turn it off for next targets untill needed.

the easiest pro mode for learning is,"zero"with iron descrim up to 35 or 40 if not relic hunting.you will dig some foil.lead and brass(or not)but will learn the tones quickly.The stock coil vs. 5x8...only on the DEEPEST targets will the stock out hunt the 5x8.depth tests in the field for me show they are nearly the same,UNLESS target is located next to trash.then the 5x8 will out perform.for me the 5x8 has too much going for it to put the stock back on.

In high iron mineralised soil...smaller coil is dealing with less at a time and target id is improved.

hope it helps !!

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are in a area with high copper and minerals, which doesn't help. So a target in pro mode should basically give me a repeatable tone, and a steady number? If the number disappears, or the tones are all over the place, it's probably trash? I need to get this down because we got access to a civil war battle and camp site, so I don't want to miss anything.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to suggest following Bigfoots advice and get the 5X8 till you said your after relics. Stick with the larger coil an hunt in all metal so if it beeps, dig it.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with sandman..coin and jewelry hunting are a differant animal than relic hunting.pro zero..no added iron descrim..stock coil..highest sens the soil can handle..regular ground balance.All forms of descrimination come at the cost of depth.

If you hear it...dig it.there arent alot of cool shortcuts to relic hunting...raw power..hit area from several directions and bring a comfortable shovel..the least bending over the better and then dig like a gopher,regularly scanning your dirt pile next to hole.multi targets in same hole are common.ALWAYS recheck your hole for those.

lastly build a sifter,doesnt need to be fancy,google it.some areas are soooo target and trash rich that its the only way to effectively thin the herd,not to mention they are excellent for finding everything including non metallic.

good luck and let us know how it goes,have confidence even if you have to fake it at first !!:occasion14:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop and swing it from a different direction and see if the signal repeats or is stronger.I can move 45 degrees and sometimes the target gets weaker or stronger and gives me an indication on wether to dig or not...

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
I use to run in standard mode, however just made the change to pro mode. As others have said if the target is "crazy sounds & VDI all over the place" I take it as machine is saying 'move on'. If I get bored I do dig these crazy signals. However, when you hit a solid target you'll know it.

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains, you brought up a point that I forgot. I will get the tones in one direction, but when I move 45 or 90 degrees, it goes away. Also, Saturday, my buddy was hunting the same yard I was, and he was getting faint high tones, mixed in with other tones, and numbers were jumping all over. He says if he hears the high tone, he digs. I was skipping them because it was solid or definite for me. He started digging up civil war pistol bullets. I listened to the tones, and they sounded like junk to me, like dustywallen was talking about.

telecaster

Greenie
Jul 27, 2015
Lebanon Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Other
Just remember.... coins don't always sink in the ground lying flat. If one is sunk 6" down on a 45 degree angle relative to
the ground surface. Swing the coil in one direction you maybe scanning the flat side of the coin and hence a pretty good
signal. Move and swing the coil from 45 or 90 degrees from your original position and you will only scan the edge of the
coin and may lose the signal altogether or get a different sounds. So as is said over and over....only time of use and
learning your machine will give you that dig or don't dig edge. My motto ....when in doubt dig.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been at it with my PRO for a few weeks now, going here and there on vacation and trying anywhere I can think of. TONS of junk so far, up about 65c CAD, nothing cool or different. Seems like we have a literal "Butt-Ton" of molten aluminum here from campfires on beaches and what have you that play nasty tricks... It's a huge learning curve, I just dig and dig...unless the VDI is in the 25-35 range then pass

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been at it with my PRO for a few weeks now, going here and there on vacation and trying anywhere I can think of. TONS of junk so far, up about 65c CAD, nothing cool or different. Seems like we have a literal "Butt-Ton" of molten aluminum here from campfires on beaches and what have you that play nasty tricks... It's a huge learning curve, I just dig and dig...unless the VDI is in the 25-35 range then pass

I still get tricked on the campfire slag,not all of it but the ones that get me are super convincing...been that way on every machine I have ever swung.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason, here on the island we have SO MUCH molten down Cans.... I get huge chunks of aluminum all the time from cans in the fire.. but some A-Hole has been going to each beach I visit and chucks them into the water where I like to hunt... Dig Dig Dig they say ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread