Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not the expert you want to hear from but, I got one about a month ago. Assembly is simple and straightforward. Mine came with batteries already in it. All I did was watch a few youtube videos, glance through the operating manual, go outside, turn it on, and start swinging. Thats where the learning starts. I'm still learning the sounds to distinguish trash from good targets but I feel I'm catching on fast. Really liking it so far...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered a Garrett at pro. I hope it's a few steps above the bounty hunter quick draw that I have been using. Any suggestions on how to start.

Miles beyond on the Bounty Hunter....if you have the extra bucks, I would pick up the 5x8 Coil for that thing, its a beast.

OP
OP
jaytanker

jaytanker

Greenie
Aug 15, 2015
Cortland New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miles beyond on the Bounty Hunter....if you have the extra bucks, I would pick up the 5x8 Coil for that thing, its a beast.

I ordered the 5x8 coil with the detector because all the reviews I have read. I had lots of fun with the Bounty Hunter it was just time to get something better.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered the 5x8 coil with the detector because all the reviews I have read. I had lots of fun with the Bounty Hunter it was just time to get something better.

I think you will be very happy, I ran my ATP for a few years before I destroyed it...and it was ALWAYS good to me.

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my Pro about 5 months, and the more I use it the more I like it. There is a learning curve, as would be with any machine. I've watched the CD that came with it several times. My best education has come from reading the posts, in this forum, by other Pro users, and digging every target getting used to the tones. Here's a tip for you. When replacing batteries, keep the detector in a horizontal position. That battery module slides out quick, and I dropped mine on the driveway, breaking the end off. Good luck and good hunting!

jackedliberty

Oct 5, 2013
Hagerstown, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did all my research on here and YouTube instructionals and was able to slide right into Pro mode with a very small learning curve. I recommend you do the same to get the best experience out of your new machine, and also you can make a test garden if you want with different targets at varying depths to test run it before taking it out into the field.

Good luck, and HH!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ya did good !!! :occasion14:...welcome to atp club,an easy tector to love

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ATP is a great machine BUT you have to pay attention to it //
I am currently working a large 2+ acre winter parking lot-- two sessions of about 1 hr and 50 + coins ( the gravel is so hard that I pass up anything deeper than 4 "--(except Quarters -84-85s at 6")
The ATP chatters over the junk and you must listen and pic out the good tones--slow down and wiggle over it --signal will clean up and you dig or move on///

Im thinking of bringing my Batt. powered drill with a flat 1/2" spade drill( point removed) and see if I can dig in along side the target// Anyone tried this ?? Perry

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
all good advice! youtube vids and the owners manual will help, but as the hours build up, you will get more comfortable with it.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch all the You Tube videos on the AT/pro that you can,& then learn it,a good shovel and a good pin pointer would be nice too .

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Jay, The ATP is a good machine but so too is the Quick Draw and Quick Draw II, I wouldn't say one is better than the other, I would say, there different machines, and the designed use and marketed group use are different as well. Metal detecting is a hobby that gives you exactly what you put into it. Its not always about money or believed cost for performance. Performance is not the driving point of cost. Popularity and feature set is. Bells and whistles sell in anything and everything. The standards in performance are such now with the available micro computer circuitry that even in-expensive or less expensive detectors come with performance never seen before.
The AT Pro's standard settings will remind you of the QD II, get to know Pro mode, learn the advantages of ground balance and your local soils, then let the machine start to talk to you. It will tell you whats down there if you listen to it.
Best of Luck!! Stay Gold!
ATP is a great Machine!
Opie

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have mine now for like 19 months now and its an awesome machine! I love it and keep at it! Once you master it the goods will come!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought an AT Pro last week as a companion to my Vaquero. Love that its VDI locks on to deeper targets and that its waterproof. Love the audio in pro mode too. If it were a little lighter and had a lifetime warranty, it would probably totally replace my Vaquero

OP
OP
jaytanker

jaytanker

Greenie
Aug 15, 2015
Cortland New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the advice. After a few weeks using the ATP I love it. I still have a lot to learn but I am lots of fun.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I used the Pro mode from the day I got my AT. Standard mode is what my Ace 250 was and what I upgraded from

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread