ATX how good for finding a cache and old coins??

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hello ladies and gentlemen, I need some advice for a purchase that I will possibly be making. I am looking for a gold cache, old house sites metal detector purchase. I was thinking of purchasing the Garrett ATX for this use. Has anyone on here been using the ATX with great success? I will be hunting some old house sites but not on the house site itself, more likely around the house so that I don't pick up all the square nails. What about the ATX on hot rocks? I've been seeing alot of good reviews on this machine. I have an older Whites XLT that I'll probably be selling soon to help with the purchase of the ATX. Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated....

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John-Edmonton is an ATX user. I'm sure he has some insights for you. I've been curious about the ATX too, but I'm just not ready to jump into the PI field yet.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Hello ladies and gentlemen, I need some advice for a purchase that I will possibly be making. I am looking for a gold cache, old house sites metal detector purchase. I was thinking of purchasing the Garrett ATX for this use. Has anyone on here been using the ATX with great success? I will be hunting some old house sites but not on the house site itself, more likely around the house so that I don't pick up all the square nails. What about the ATX on hot rocks? I've been seeing a lot of good reviews on this machine. I have an older Whites XLT that I'll probably be selling soon to help with the purchase of the ATX. Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated....

The ATX is a pulse induction metal detector, and does not offer the variable discrimination capabilities which a common VLF metal detector has. What it does have for discrimination, is that it will give a high-low audio signal over gold, and low-high signal over silver and copper. Iron will sound off as both low-high and high low depending on the target's size, composition and degree to which it has rusted. The ATX ignores most hot rocks. The real nasty ones can be ignored by ground balancing the ATX over the target and it will not sound off on it. If you accidentally ground balance the ATX over a good target such as a gold nugget, bullet, ring it will still sound off an audio signal over these targets. The ATX was designed to excel in depth and sensitivity over highly mineralized conditions or salt water. It will not be the best choice in areas littered with lots of junk, as it is a very sensitive machine. It also has a variety of coils to help with your types of searches...from tiny nuggets to deep caches and other targets. You can also GOOGLE ATX Metal Detecting Forum to get you to a forum specifically on the ATX Metal Detector.

I have had some success using my ATX as a relic hunting machine. I use it mostly for water hunting coins/jewelry and coin shooting in the snow during my winter months. Hope this helps....

Below is a pic of all my coins found last year on land, in the snow and water.

atx coins.JPG

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi John, I've been seeing your posts. You do quite well for yourself and it is nice to see someone answering questions pertaining to this fun wonder hobby of ours! So you have been enjoying the ATX? This is going to be one of my next purchases in the near future! Definetly, I do tons of water hunting and use an Aquapulse A1B with pretty good success but it sure loves iron!! Lol, I don't mind it just that I wish it was gold instead!! I have a few questions pertaining to the ATX. I might use this for beach hunts in the dry sand and stuff, maybe even use it on a few water hunts. This detector will be mostly used on old house sites, not necessarily on the house site itself but around the surrounding areas. I hear that this machine will scream if there are too many nails, I have used a few VLF machines and the whole nail thing drives me nuts!! But I have found some cool stuff even though dealing with all those crazy iron stuff!! I feel there is more lying around the outskirts of these old houses but always wanted a machine that goes deep!! Thank God for the late Mr. Garrett and his awesome technicans!! So what about HOT ROCKS, they are a big problem in Hawaii. Lots and lots of mineralization, does this machine cancel them out? I sure hope so because these rocks used to register a 95 on my old Whites XLT and I always thought it was a good target boy did they fool me!! What about find caches that are mason jar size? What kind of depth would I get on something like that? I also do bottle hunting, I know it won't pick up glass but if big pieces of metal are buried with the old bottles pressumbly in old out houses would this machine pick it up deep? Well, I can't wait to hear your response. I really appreciate it so very much!! Aloha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions