Hunting with the AT Pro at a new site

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made it back to the Memphis area for the big move and had some time to get out with dad and my uncle for some much-needed detecting! We had noticed a small house was recently bulldozed and dad had wanted to jump on the opportunity...but I wasn't so keen on the place since I noticed a bunch of scrap sheet metal in front of the place right before it was demolished...I wasn't feeling like wading through a bunch of trash with an unfamiliar detector and I suggested another place....where Jimtn has done very well for a long time....

But dad insisted we try it, and thirty feet from the car he finds a hole with 3 Wheat cents! Game changer! We were sharing his AT Pro, and we selected the Pro Coins mode. First signal and he's got three Wheats on me! We handed off the detector between signals, and I was surprised at how quick it was to recover between signals...there wasn't much iron at this place much to my surprise, and coins definitely had a "round sound" once you got the coil over one. I never hunted at a difficult site the Pro, and we were about to get our socks blown off...

First signal I got was a nice "77-81" which turned out to be a wheat dated 1952....off to a good start. Dad pulls another wheat, then another, and pretty quickly he had 5 Wheats to my one! Maybe I should have kept the Pro, and not make it a birthday present, because now I'm getting shown up...lol...

I unnotched the Pulltab area between nickel and zinc cent, hoping to get over a war nickel now that 6 Wheats had turned up, all about 2-3 inches deep. Silver was just around the corner, I knew it! We went on to find many more Wheats and dad got a deep scratcher under a huge root. While he was working on that, I came across a sweet 83-84 target that sounded about 2-3 inches deep. There was a 5-6 inch "scrape" from a dozer blade. This was the first silver...a 1950 Rosie...but 15 seconds later dad starts laughing and stealing the spotlight with a 1952 quarter! He must have spent 10 minutes negotiating the roots, but it paid off! Put my little Rosie to shame hahaha...we dug a few more Wheats each, and then I come across a solid "89-90" at maybe 4" deep...out came a nice 1963 quarter...now we were cookin....it was on....

I remember getting a "92" next to a tree and didn't think too much of it...it sounded ok, but I had dug some 90s targets earlier and they were bottlecaps, but i normally dig those anyway. My uncle saw a large greyish disk come out of the hole, I picked it up but it took a couple of seconds to register.....holy cow! Walking liberty!

"What a bunch of crap - you planted that!" he said....we all laughed and kept going. Dad found a Wheat, rescanned the hole and from about 7" deep he pulls a Merc! We had 5 silvers between us. I found my own 3-Wheat glory hole after that, and he picked up a few more as well. I think he in the end pulled 10-12 Wheats while i got eight. What an unexpected surprise this little homesite was! Definitely warrants a return trip...

but now everything is packed and we're heading to Colorado tomorrow, just biding my time until I can swing a detector again!

NCM_0199.JPG

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice wish I could find something like that haha.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! What a great day! Maybe next time bring 2 detectors!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread