Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting to learn my Ace 350 and the standard 8.5"x11" DD coil that came with it.

I'm thinking about adding a couple extra coils. One for junky areas and one for covering more ground faster and deeper.

For a small one for sniping, should I look at something like the CORS Shrew 6.5"x3.5" DD or the Garrett 4.5" Sniper?

For depth and speed would adding a CORS Giant 15"x17" DD be worth it? Would it reach much deeper and cover much more ground per swing than the standard coil?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they would work for what your looking to do. The smaller coil is going to work better in trashy areas and bigger will cover more ground. It's still going to be harder to tell junk from good. I had the 350 and found great things just have to dig a lot of trash for the good stuff. I upgraded twice since then and am doing a lot better but trash still fools detector and me in real trashy areas. Good luck.

OP
OP
dave_e

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Also wondering if upgrading the detector itself would be a better use of the money than spending the extra money on more coils??

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just buy the AT Pro & sell the 350 .... Enjoy hunting the water & rain with no worries!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. Also wondering if upgrading the detector itself would be a better use of the money than spending the extra money on more coils??

I'm sure the Ace 350 will please you for some time to come. The question you have to ask yourself is one of mathematics. What is the cost of new coils versus an upgrade of the detector itself? How far do you want to go with the Ace before you will want something more serious? Your next logical step in that would be the AT Pro. And then here you'll read of others full of all kinds of temptations.

IMO, personally I'd upgrade the detector versus the coils. However, that 350 is quite capable. Some of us just can't be satisfied in terms of detecting power. Maybe don't let that become you - gets kinda expensive :)

Keep the faith!

It's Deep

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just jump to the at pro a buddy of mine uses one, ive had the 350 and uhh... just get the pro i think that you' ll be amazed at the difference

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Yes....get a new coil. Getting a different coil for your machine is like buying a new different metal detector at a small price. A new coil allows the machine to excel in a different environment. Small coils find the good targets in trashy areas, whereas a large coil will get better depth and cover a large area to be searched verses a smaller coil in any given amount of time. I would recommend the 5" x 8" coil, which has been given excellent reviews by thousands of users.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to say that selling the 350(or keeping)and upgrading is going to happen at some point.the trick is to figure out when that point is and make sound financial decisions based on that.coils arent cheap and you only get some of it returned upon sale.
If it was me,and I have both the 350 and atp I would upgrade.my 350 is for a back up or loaner.either way you are upgrading.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
:dontknow:

A 5x8 is my primary coil in trashy areas ,parks ect..
It seems like much better separation .if separation is the right word , than the 8.5x11 .
Now that larger (stock) coil is great to cover more ground when there are less targets. Enough to me to not warrant a bigger coil.
A sniper coil would help more under bleachers or along fence edges but the 5x8 in the open can squeak out mixed stuff pretty good with tight swings or wiggles on multiple or iffy targets.. Recoveries with the 5x8 along fence edges and guardrails hint ,to me anyway ,that other detectorists are missing those edges. A sniper might be even better ,but I'm content getting as close as I do.
IF you are a patient gridder of sites and they are hard trashed and you don't want to remove everything , and want to try and cherry pick instead..a sniper coil seems the way to go.
Had I not bought a pair of 350's with two coils each before the AT-Pro was proven .....an AT-Pro would have been a first choice as an upgrade from my other Ace detector..

I've hunted a park a couple times using a 350 with a fellow detectorist met there with an AT-Pro and I'll give him a slight edge in original confirmed hits on potential targets faster , and better I.D. at max. depth..(we lean towards coins mostly) but the AT-Pro is going to whup the 350 of course if the detectors features alone are compared.
We both miss stuff the other finds , and the user matters as well as what we are willing to dig on a certain day. .
Too I've watched him do the same wiggle on iffy deeper targets repeatedly. He has me beat by totals/finds ,but has put in many more hours in that park also.

Were I to pursue an AT-Pro I'd want a smaller than stock coil also ,though not a sniper coil, ..but that's me and how I hunt.
There is a diamond (single stud/diamond) earring on a trashed site I've ignored.
It's a very public place and would be hours of detecting with out the other earring to test on.
Perhaps a sniper coil would help but the diamond would be returned ,knowing the owner anyways.

Have fun deciding.:tongue3:

Last edited:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Pro is a great machine, but the secret to upgrading is let your detector finds pay for it. Use your 350 until you earn most of the money the sell the 350 for the rest. If you don't hang on to a detector long enough to pay it off your not really giving it a chance. I used my GTX 550 from Garrett to buy my AT PRO. Then used the Pro to buy a DFX from White's. within a year of that used the Pro and Dfx to buy the V3i. The Pro is an unbeatable detector and I still use it the most. But I also now love the V3i.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread