Ever Wonder How Old We Metal Detector Hobbiests Are? Well, Lets Find Out............

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of us hunt for different reasons. Exercise, love of history, spare coffee money and friendship. We come from all walks of life and nationalities. I hunt for exercise, fun, curiosity, stress reduction and saving for another car, bought from gold and cash. I will be turning 61 next year.

So, how old are you, and why do you metal detect?

View attachment 1237511

The BIG 50
Start Detecting at the age of 13

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a radio shack detector given to me for my 13th birthday. It was awesome! i found tin foil and gum wrappers and nails and nuts and bolts and even a penny sitting on top of the ground! I found my dads car sitting in the driveway and door knobs attached to doors still being used in the house and pocket change in pockets still waiting to be dropped for later retrieval. Yes, i found lots of treasures with that machine.
After a few weeks of hunting i put the machine away but, the bug had bit me and within a couple years i had a Garrett ADS.

This is THE best hobby EVER!

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm 511 in dog years. My first detector was an AN/PRS-3D aka Bendix DT 44D/ PRS-3 IIRC.
Barely capable of finding a manhole cover or a buried 55 gal. drum.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Different parts of me feel different ages.
My brain feels 20
My legs feel 30
My shoulders feel 115
So that makes the total 65 years old if you subtract the first two.

spurgeon

Feb 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 46 & got in to this about 2 years ago. Bought 3 Garrett ACE 350's for me and my two boys. My oldest is now driving but my youngest and I still hit the holes every time we get a chance.

CladiatorMax

Nov 1, 2012
Garden Grove, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Sovereign GT / Garrett Carrot / Stavr Scoops
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
47, started in 2010, became addicted after finding my first target (a clad quarter) at lifeguard tower 16 at HB. It was a Whites Coinmaster, no scoop, no pin pointer, just a garden spade, a flashlight, and giddy excitement. I started small and have enjoyed the progression of experience everyday since. The friendships and stories are priceless, thanks for sharing.

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
46. Been at it for nearly 4 years... First find that hooked me was an 1895 Indian in my back yard. It's been a non-stop way of life since!

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm 50 bought my first in 1980 whites 5500. I MD for the halibut. Don.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm 62.
I set a goal back in the mid 1970's to complete set of mercury dimes found with a detector. I completed that goal in 2012 with a 1916-D.
I'm only missing 6 Barber dimes for a complete set of these and time is running out.
HH,BK

Broncox

Nov 27, 2012
vernon,bc
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 250 and White's Bullseye ll pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
52 this year....detecting 25 yrs

gheechee

Greenie
Dec 3, 2015
Goose Creek, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
69 and just started. Need some me time and I can't think of anything I'd rather do. Bought fishing gear when we moved back here, but rarely use it. Have a part-time pet sitting business that is very fulfilling and profitable. Just need some time to relax. Even if I don't find a thing

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
44 here. Been detecting since around '93 when I was in my early twenties. Before that, I had always dug arrowheads since age 6 or 7, down in Louisiana where I grew up. Started out with a Garrett (from Kellyco) and ended up with a Deus. Who knows where I'll go next...

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

OldCop135

Greenie
Apr 23, 2014
northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
59; I hunt because I love history...and because I promised my wife I wouldn't be in my recliner all day watching TV when I retired two years ago.

DEHUNTER74

Feb 20, 2013
Dagsboro
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 & AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just turned 42 in January. Been detecting for almost 5 years and love every minute of it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread