topconsurveyor

Dec 27, 2015
Mitchell, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,

I'm a long time arrowhead hunter and have always wanted to get started in metal detecting/treasure hunting. I've been reading and researching for a year or so now and it seems for the price the Garrett AT Pro is definitely the way to go for a newbie. Does anyone have a good recommendation on how and where to purchase a new one, would like to get a good price on a bundle deal with a pointer also. Also from what I've read it seems the first run on the AT Pro's had a lot of problems or defects but they've all been resolved now so how do I go about making sure I get more recently manufactured one rather than a problematic first run model?

Thanks for any help, also fyi I have about 15 years experience in land surveying and researching old plats and maps so if I can be of any help in locating old home sites or such feel free to ask.

topconsurveyor

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call Bart at BigBoysHobbies. Youll get a better deal over the phone. If you want to buy online, they are all the same price.

Jan 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I just want to start out saying I don't have as much experience as you in searching maps and such. That is probably why I have not been detecting anywhere besides my yard, a few local parks, and Romania. Can you give me some tips? Anyway, the best place to buy a detector depends on what you want to spend. If you buy your detector from a store like cabelas( I do not recommend), you are going to pay about 100 more than on kellyco (very good site) or eBay (pretty reliable site where I got my Gti used for half the price at any other place). If you want to get something cheaper, get a used one off of eBay. However, I am almost positive that lots of people would not recommend doing that. It worked out fine for me. If you want to get your detector from a reliable and very good priced site, get it from kellyco . It comes with a lot of nice accessories which you will find necessary once you start detecting. I hope you enjoy your at pro. It is very good for what you want to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oo-v-oO

Greenie
Sep 22, 2014
Live Free or Die, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Quantum II
Garrett Carrot, Harbor Freight pinpointer
Lesche & Finnish gardening tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll second Big Boys Hobbies. He's also very responsive to E-mail.

JASinBTCT

Aug 20, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Deteknix X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unquestionably, Big Boys Hobbies.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
topconsurveyor
Give me a call
Great prices on the AT-Pro
dennis

twalton

Jul 16, 2008
Virginia, Il
Detector(s) used
At Pro, Whites Prizm 6T, Fisher 1235x, Pioneer 505
I recently purchased mine from Cabelas at a substantial savings 20160129_103251[1].jpg

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne and Doug at Metaldetectingstuff. They are supporting members of Tnet also. They are great guys and will take care of you. They always take care of me.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a great deal from Kellyco on my ATPro

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one at cabelas for the 399.9 also. If they aren't still on sale then kelleyco has been good to me.

N3LJS

Nov 11, 2010
La Vale,MD
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White XLT, Garrett AT Pro and Tesoro Bandido II
Big Boys Hobbies Digger Special with out the shovel c580.... Came a few days ago

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wayne & Doug at Metal Detecting Stuff. Wayne gave me a deal on a new Fisher F75 that beat out Kellyco & Big Boy Hobbies.

pencil5757

Apr 29, 2006
Jasper Texas
Detector(s) used
-Garrett AT-PRO, Ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne & Doug at Metal Detecting Stuff. Wayne gave me a deal on a new Fisher F75 that beat out Kellyco & Big Boy Hobbies.

Yes he's a good guy to deal with very friendly and fast shipping!

Feb 11, 2016
Knoxville,Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He brought up a good point and I haven't seen anyone address it yet and I'm curious about it myself. How does one go about making sure they get the latest and the greatest of the AT Pro and not a first run that has been sitting in the warehouse.

I'm new to the AT Pro and haven't had much time to spend with it thanks to the wonderful Illinois weather. But the day I did get out with it I ended up digging up my bottle caps than anything else and it seems to jump all over the place on the scale. I also noticed that it read high even when it turned out to be a bottle caps. Again...ive had about two hours with the machine but my past experience with other machines including the E Trac and the Garrett GTI 2500 I never had this issue. I know....i know you are sitting there and shaking your heads and saying....two hours and he's asking this question...lol.

The machine just seems to be somewhat erratic on sound and the numerical scale was all over the place.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
coinhunter3970 when out coin shooting with your AT Pro and you come across a target watch the screen's VDI numbers & the sound it makes - make mental notes on what it's trying to tell you. I use the PRO mode Zero and been fairly successful and yes I will dig pull tabs - square tabs - can slaw & aluminum bottle caps cause there is no machine on the market that can get by this trash that I know of. Also my AT does not like metal buildings with fluorescent lights. You can only get better - watch videos on U Tube!!! GARRETT will not sell a product that they will not back up....

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt you will find a new unit that is old stock. Most dealers get inventory in every week or month. The packages change every year. The serial number can be decoded to determine build date.

OP
OP
topconsurveyor

topconsurveyor

Dec 27, 2015
Mitchell, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the replies, I ended up going with Bart at Big Boy Hobbies, got the AT Pro and an Pro Pointer (waterproof orange one) and an extra set of Grey Ghost waterproof headphones, all together I believe it was right at $700, pretty good deal, no tax.

Update, My AT Pro came via UPS yetserday, it got to the house just before I got home for my 1 hour lunch break. Of course I couldnt wait so in just a few minutes I had it all assembled and was in the yard. Within 5 feet from my front door the first beep, first dig first hole I got a 19?? wheat penny and an 18?? Indian head penny in the same hole!!! That was all the time I had and soooo excited to get back home today and get out there and find my first silver/gold.

I bought this AT Pro mainly because of the house my wife and I just bought and finally moved to last weekend. It sits on an historic deadend roadway that ends just down the hill at the river and was the original one and only ferry crossing on the river here. The home we bought was originally a cabin built in the 1700's and was occupied by the ferry operator, somewhere close to the house used to be a big livery where they kept the Clydesdale horses to pull the wagon trains up the hill from the river. I'm still getting all the folklore information from the locals here about where everything used to be back 200 years ago. Right next to my home is a huge sinkhole (about 1/4 mile wide) that supposedly back then was filled with water and the wagon trains would all camp around it (have actually seen some OLD pictures showing that). The property I'm on is about 145 acres and theres thousands of acres with all the neighbors that will most likely give me permission to detect, and as far as I know nobody has ever detected out here at all (I would believe that since I just found a wheat and indian penny 5 feet from the front door) so it looks like I will be very busy diggin for years :)

The original cabin here was pretty small and the house has been added on to in all direction a few times, the previous owner showed me in the basement where the original cellar was under the original cabin, most of the house additions are partial crawl spaces so it looks like I will be trying to figure out how to get detecting in the crawlspace, will probably start with the crawl that is directly in front of the cabin part. That sounds like a lot of fun!! I think I will save the crawl space adventures for next winter when it will be to cold/frozen to detect outside.

Well thanks again for the replies, and I plan to start an ongoing thread (when I can find the appropriate section) with the whole story of this historic home/area and start posting daily pictures of my finds.

topconsurveyor

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions