AT Pro and hammered coins

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've read several posts about manual ground balancing down a few points to help locate silver coins. Was wondering if anybody has experienced trying the technique on the hammered silver coins as found in the UK and other European locations? I've experimented with the balancing but haven't proven the concept as valid or not.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never manually ground balanced below the automatic setting and I was able to find silver hammered coins. They rang up crystal clear like any other coin from my jaunts in Germany. I'm not an expert by any means and some might say to try something different but my AT Pro found several of the coins you ask about without manipulating the settings.

OP
OP
boss driver

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found several of them, but like most of us, I'm always looking to maximise my odds. They don't hit like die struck silver coins so not sure how it might work.

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never manually ground balanced either and had no problem finding hammered. The main thing with hammered is they don't ring up like "normal" silver coins. All hammered I have found ring up mid tone. Larger up into the 60's. Smaller have rung up as low at 40 on the AT pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread