AT Pro, Low Air test numbers...

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So when I first got my AT Pro early 2015, I was getting good air test results, dime at 6-7 inches, quarter at 7 1/2. etc.. Now my at pro air test a dime at 4-5, a quarter at 5-6 with the 8x11 DD coil... should i start to worry? has anyone had experience with sending their machine in for repairs, pertaining to low depth issue? what were the cost of the repair? did it solve the problem? im asking because im thinking about sending my machine in for service..

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reset it when you turn it on and try your test again.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To restore the AT Pro to factory settings press & hold the power button for 5 to 10 seconds (until the machine produces a fast double beep). Also I do not relie on air test, to me the real test comes from actual use and my coin & trash gardens test. The deepest coins with my AT Pro were clad quarters one at 8" & one within a foot at 9.5" and the depth was from fill soil brought in. Most coins in my area is at the 7" stratus level. Good luck & great finds!!!

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fwiw some areas of my house have alot of eme interference...that can make a big difference in an air test

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Always air test it in the same location for more accuracy and more reliable data.

MercerDigger

Greenie
Jan 16, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
AT Gold & AT Pro

Coils
5x8
8.5x11
2 NEL Storm's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting I just bought a AT Gold and having similar problem though I didn't change coils (its about 2 weeks old) the air test is picking quarters at max of 5-6 inches max in AMM but with same settings sometimes it only does about 3-5inchs with same air test at same spot. Whiles its a 5x8 DD coil it still should hit better then that with a quarter in AMM. Then again its a new machine to me so maybe just not use to it yet. But with the nice weather we had on and off last 2 weeks I been out with it and its picking up targets just haven't found anything past 5inchs mostly (other then some large iron). Still really happy with it because its picking out good targets from the tons of trash around here.

Last edited:

MercerDigger

Greenie
Jan 16, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
AT Gold & AT Pro

Coils
5x8
8.5x11
2 NEL Storm's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just wanted to clarify something before I logged out I did find a few targets at 8inch including a dime and a quarter (even a small old copper wire about 2 inches long). The main problem is limited to air test for some reason I think. I do the air test outside and away from everything so I don't think its EMI of any sort.

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
New batteries?

MercerDigger

Greenie
Jan 16, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
AT Gold & AT Pro

Coils
5x8
8.5x11
2 NEL Storm's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mine no I change them out when they get to 2 bars.

computech

Greenie
Apr 14, 2007
Clay NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ20, Whites DFX, and Black Widow Headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that the air test shows no where near what the actual results would be if the object were in the ground. This is due to the fact that depending on the metallic composition of the object and the length of time that it has been in the ground creates a "halo" effect in the soil that enhances the signal, therefore finding deeper objects.
I've been doing this since 1980 and have hunted many times with the Dealer that sold me my first BFO unit.

HH
Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions