help!

cadmaster

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2016
North Bay Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking for a cheap starter detector with my xmas money and found a Garrett Groundhog Master hunter VLF/TR electronic metal detector with coplanar coil and storage bag for $75 CAD (about $50 USD).

Is this a decent price and is it a good starter detector. I and fairly technically competent and have a mechanical engineering background. Zero experience metal detecting.

What is the max detection depth of this unit approximately?

Thanks

mmc

Attachments

• $_27 (2).JPG
    $_27 (2).JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 97
  • $_27 (3).JPG
    $_27 (3).JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 80
  • $_27x.JPG
    $_27x.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 98

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 or 4 in.oldermachine.sell it and get your money back and invest in a newer machine .there are many more choices on ebay.good luck friend and welcome

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
was a great machine in its day....if it still works it will find shallow targets...I agree about 3 or 4 inches max.swing low and slow

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any detector is a good starter detector. I started with a 9 function Vlf detector from harbor freight. It cost me $40 brand new. It was also a cheap chinese piece of junk and the handle broke off after one week and the sensitivity pot broke on week 2. The shaft kept loosening up and the pinpoint button was intermittent. Still, I used it a lot and still have it.

It's max depth was about 6" and I found all kinds of great stuff and it got me hooked on detecting.

Personally I enjoy using old stuff just because its metal and clicky and knobby.

I think thats a pretty cool machine even if it doesnt go deep. If you already purchased it then use it!!!

Remember even if max depth is 4" for say a coin, larger objects will be detected deeper than that.

It does appear to have manual ground balance and discrimination, I would say its really not a bad machine and built like a tank. Just learn it and pound some ground and if you have fun start researching your next machine.

Last edited:

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would be better off saving up a bit more and looking at the entry level ACE or other manufacturers entry detectors like Go-Finds. F2's etc..Every manufacturer has an inexpensive model to start ,just find which one works for your budget and one that you like best. Don't waste your money on those wall hangers. Check out your local CDN Tire too, they always have Bounty's on sale for a really good price.

Last edited:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
If your just starting out, it's more about how much diggin you can do, and can your back take it.

I've never owned one of those, it looks like it would be pretty uncomfortable without the arm rest. And you might find that you may not be able to move much the next day:laughing7:.

For $50 tho, at least you'll get out there. I'd say with your background tho, $250-$350 would be a better target for you. It's going to tell you a whole lot more, and be a more comfortable unit.

Good Luck & HH:occasion14:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

These older machines can do things some newer machines can't but you need to really learn the machine

Last edited:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I would search for a used ACE Series detector if money is a problem. It's much more advanced, gets better depth, less batteries, many more bells & whistles and can still be repaired.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions