View screen problem on my new AT PRO

Feb 18, 2016
Lebanon Missouri
Detector(s) used
Had a White's coinmaster pro in the 80's for about 5 years. I lived in western and central Maryland then. I just bought a new Garrett AT PRO in Nov. have had it out like 3 or 4 times. I now live in Le
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a new AT PRO have only had it out 3 times. I noticed there are rainbow colored bands on my view screen. This makes it hard to see the screen. I contacted Garrett, they said yes they know about the problem but it is an inherent problem with layered screens. They are sending me a new screen to put on my machine......really ???? Has anyone else had this problem with their AT PRO. They said it can also come from wearing polarized glasses or sunglasses. I really like my new machine but something just don't sound right with the viewing problem on this machine. Thanks Bill.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes this has been brought up before. I have an AT Gold and don't seem to have this problem.

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had mine for a few years now and I haven't had any issues. Hopefully this new screen works out better for you

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I've had my At pro 4 yrs now and I've had a rainbow/ air bubble streak across my screen for 3 yrs now and it doesn't effect the performance at all.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
It's usually a problem when you wear sunglasses....

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something about this post isn't right. They wouldn't send you a new screen to install yourself. It's under warranty Bill.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have that effect at times on mine but not so bad that I can't view the screen, I'm thinking mostly in the morning and in full sun light I don't have the rainbow effect. I think it's the plastic material that they use.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
It's just the decal over top of the hard face plate. Air/moisture gets in between. Garrett will send you a new decal. Peel off and put the new one on.

OP
OP
T
Feb 18, 2016
Lebanon Missouri
Detector(s) used
Had a White's coinmaster pro in the 80's for about 5 years. I lived in western and central Maryland then. I just bought a new Garrett AT PRO in Nov. have had it out like 3 or 4 times. I now live in Le
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did try looking at the screen with and without my sunglasses on and it does make a difference. Without the glasses I don't see the rainbow. Thanks all for the replies.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's just the decal over top of the hard face plate. Air/moisture gets in between. Garrett will send you a new decal. Peel off and put the new one on.

That's for shipping purposes. That's like a screen saver for a phone. Throw it out.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a protector on the screen you didn't pull off? I switch my CTX to a iphone plastic protector because of a problem similar to yours.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Rick, No the top face of the AT pro is just a sheet/face decal. I know what s shipping cover/protector looks like. Moisture and air get in between the face decal and cause a rainbow or moisture like bubble. This does not affect the performance at all. Doesn't bother me that mine has this. If I change out the decal, I'm sure in a short time it will do the same thing again.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455953240.035028.jpg

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If you are concerned that this is a big problem, it's nothing to worry about. Behind this decal is the sealed water tight housing. The decal is simply a diagram window cover to show which buttons and what numbers, so it will eventually start to bubble.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rick, No the top face of the AT pro is just a sheet/face decal. I know what s shipping cover/protector looks like. Moisture and air get in between the face decal and cause a rainbow or moisture like bubble. This does not affect the performance at all. Doesn't bother me that mine has this. If I change out the decal, I'm sure in a short time it will do the same thing again.

Oops, yep your right. That's really good to know
I scratched mine up pretty bad.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my car stereos does the same thing, until I remove my polarized sunglasses. -- First time I wore some while detecting with my AT Gold I thought my screen was going bad, until I took off my sunglasses, then remembered the car stereo thing...

While it doesn't fix that, I do use a cellphone screen protector over the screen of my machines that have them -- as seeing through scratches wouldn't be much fun!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was imposiable to wear sun glasses with my AT Pro..............same thing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread