AT Pro VDI Chart

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, man, you want me to do real work???? :o:o:o:o I'll try to do that and see what I come up with. One the higher numbers, the VDI are similar, but it stretches that middle section out farther, I think. I'll try to have a pad with me and take notes. Going out this weekend, so will report afterward.:thumbsup:

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, not an auspicious start, but I dug an 1864 Indian Head penny and the VDI on the 400 read a solid 77. It was the only coin I dug. Soil was sandy loam, not far from a river.8-)

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This chart is very helpful to someone like me who is new to reading vdi numbers and has had their AT PRO for about a week

Thanks for posting it

cuts

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0801161840.jpg

Excellent - Thank you for posting this chart!

Using AT Pro for 2 years and couldn't be happier with performance, a real coin finder!

A recent dig in 2" to 5" of very dry light loam yielded nickels at VDI 50. Subsequent digs at VDI 47-49 and 51-54 yielded foil. That Stainless Steel pin rang up VDI 99 in same conditions.

Great site, excellent resource.

Cuts

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT PRO,
Whites MXT TRACKER E-SERIES
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
28 gram 925 silver necklace. vdi 53. thought I had found white gold. stamped on clasp 925. This same piece vdi was 20 on my mxt.

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14kt necklace with religious medallion, vdi 40

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vdi 93. large silver ring

Jsalinger

Jan 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VDI Picture Chart

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing your lists and findings!

I'm brand new to the sport, and was looking for a way to have some fun and start learning my new AT Pro during the Wisconsin winter, so:

I set up a basic "air test" with a number of metal items lying around the house, and put the results (and pictures of the items) + (notes on material composition found on the internet), into a Google Sheets document. (If the images don't load right away, give it a few seconds). You can zoom in and out on the spreadsheet in Chrome, with CTRL + and CTRL - on Windows (Command on Mac).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13LqdjRYXLMN8tsefopzQQG3EhTiARLUvCypPX7NNWcE/edit?usp=sharing

What do you think? Is this useful for anyone?

I was hoping to have a pocket reference I could print out and take with me on my first few excursions!

-JS

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tests are sometimes subjective. I watched this week's episode of the Hoover Boys on YouTube and they were digging signals that any other time would have been a silver quarter or a large cent and they both turned out to be wheat pennies. I dug a silver quarter that read in the high 90s, almost too high to take seriously, with my 400, then again, dug a seated dime that was down in wheat penny range because it was very tarnished. When it came up, I thought it was a penny it was so dark.

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's really eyeopening for those to see where the gold rings fall. I hate not digging a target because it could be the one that would make me do the happy dance.

tabman

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rick67 great post. I just saw this, but am an AT pro fan.
I would like to add half dime vdi 92 as i got two of them in 2016. Best,

OP
OP
rick67

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rick67 great post. I just saw this, but am an AT pro fan.
I would like to add half dime vdi 92 as i got two of them in 2016. Best,

Wish I could. They changed something as the thread doesn't recognize me as original poster to open it now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread