having trouble identifying between a dime and a penny any pointers?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well personally if I'm short on time sometimes Ill discriminate a bit more than usual. So I pass up a lot more signals. Other times when I have a few hours to kill I'll dig EVERYTHING.

I also have a few local parks I usually frequent and figure I'll be back and check again.

I can understand those reasons. I have no idea what coil you use if it is a double D or concentric. If the latter, your deepest target might be a quarter size footprint and hitting that twice no matter how many times you go over the area would be a challenge. My thoughts would be to clean an area as complete as you can within your time frame.

However, as I said I am not you. You would probably dig 10 thousand pennies before and if you would ever see a gold coin. But lots of tokens and other desirable's will come in as a penny signal. I can't help you discriminate a penny out. Maybe if you let others know what machine you swing, someone will have excellent advice. Good luck out there!

Perses

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites TRX bullseye Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do not skip the pennies, yes they are frustrating but smaller silver jewelry will often ring as a copper penny-dime. I was doing a lake last year and skipped penny signals closer to the shore, figure 1-2 feet deep cause I figured it was just that ... pennies. The second time I was there I wasnt finding that much so I scooped out the pennies and got 2 silver rings.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the most part buried dimes will ring up at 80 - 81 and on occasion a penny will ring at an 80 but those are usually new pennies. I go by tone and dig em anyway. I have found rings in the 70's and 80's

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread