Advice on AT Pro

scalded

Mar 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello- I am new here but have read a lot of good information on this website so I figured it was the best place to get help/ advice on detector I'd like to buy. I currently have a Fisher F2 and have found several civil war relics. I've had it for about two years and was going to get an AT Pro. What are peoples experiences with AT Pro? How does it compare to F2....I imagine there is no comparison. I know that it has a higher frequency which I guess translates to finding targets deeper in soil?? Is it fair to say I will find more stuff with the AT Pro. Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not ever having owned a F2 or used one I would say the ATP is probably the best all around machine for the money. Everyone has brand preferences and many detectors I am sure are comparable but I have and ATP and it is easy to use but takes 100 hours or so to learn it. By that I mean for you to get to know all the chirps and chatters. You get to know even faint signals that are worthy targets. I use mine mostly as a coin shooter but with the iron audio I a sure it is a great relic hunter too. I would call a TNet vendor such as Bart from Bigboyshobbies for advice. None of the vendors on Tnet will steer you wrong

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son uses the at pro and has some nice finds, he is only 10yrs old. But he was swinging a whites silver eagle at 5yrs. I tried the at twice and it does do quite well in trashy areas, we hunt mostly cellar holes [1790-1860] and the at will pick thru the nails if you go slow using the the pro mode. Pretty easy learnig curve I would say.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great machine. easy to learn.
Goes deep and very accurate.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Scalded, The difference in the Frequency does not necessarily make one deeper than the other. The wave length (F2 5 kHz) is longer by contrast than the At Pro 15 kHz. However the amount of wave length in the ground helps with smaller and less conductive targets. it can be said that the 5 kHz wave length can go deeper, but is not as happy with target finds of lesser conductivity. No strictly gold machines are less than 13 kHz and are usually a lot more 18 + kHz. That said the F2 loves coins and silver or "conductive" targets. The most noticeable differences between the two mentioned detectors will be Id numbers are different and the ability to fine tune for mineralized ground (ground balance) and the target separation. The F2 believe it or not is a tick faster, considerably faster if you only run the AT in standard mode. The At Pro is a great bang for the buck as far as what it is capable of doing. If you are looking for an up grade the F5 and F70 also by Fisher are great machines. but you can't go wrong with a AT Pro.
So all of this said, keep the F2 as a quick scout machine to check out an area. Then use the At Pro to take your time and see whats there.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. You will find that the AT Pro will have more consistent ID numbers on good targets. The ground balance feature will give you deeper detection in mineralized soil. Give me a call if I can answer any questions for you.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the F75 and bought a AT Pro as a second detector as I saw what it could do in trashy areas. I use the 5x8 coil on the AT Pro and never run coin mode. It is real easy to learn and well balanced as I can swing it for hours. Its a little hard on battery's compared to my F75. I would tell you to consider the T2 if your willing to learn a very deep detector. The AT Pro does good on coins and buttons that I like to find. Definitely don't be afraid to call a sponsor like the one above and let him know where you will be hunting and what you may be interested in finding. I think the T2 is a far better detector but not as easy to use. Garret did a really good job balancing out the AT Pro so it hits hard even on the smallest piece of wire. When you disc out or eliminate a target you get a broken signal if one at all. I have a Bounty Hunter I used for years which is close to your F2. You are gonna be blown away if you get the AT Pro. My AT Pro came with a set of headphones and they have volume control in the headset. You will appreciate how the AT Pro handles the trash and nails infested areas. The higher frequency makes it more sensitive but 8 to 10 inches is plenty deep. There is tricks to keep you from digging bottle caps but I dig a lot of rings and would say dig it all. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread