Garrett digging tool

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manufactures add these "toys" to a purchase to give the impression of value. Like any tool stuff wears out.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Nice shovel but does the rubber grip on the handle normally tear and leave a sharp edge exposed after like 10 holes? Not very happy with this.

Mine eventually wore out too. I replaced it with a bicycle had grip and is now better then ever, as the handle is thicker and easier on the hands.

OP
OP
Guster

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I am going to contact them and inquire about it. Just to see how they respond. Was probably literally 10th hole dug.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The probable with these tools is the hollow steel handle cuts thru the grip-- pull the grip off, turn or whittle a wood plug and drive it into the hollow handle, cut it off about 1/4" long and sand the edges// -no more cutting// Perry

OP
OP
Guster

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall seeing plugs in the end of tubes somewhere, will have to look. Then will put on a bike grip and spray hairspray on it to make it stick like when I was 8.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with the hair spray trick. They don't stick and dry up in seconds like when methylene chloride was used.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine went on the llth hole, but I wasn't expecting much being at came with other goodies when I bought my ATPro. Bike handle:thumbsup:

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall seeing plugs in the end of tubes somewhere, will have to look. Then will put on a bike grip and spray hairspray on it to make it stick like when I was 8.

I did the hairspray thing to put foam grips on a motorcycle. But those grips would likely be a poor application because of water absorption on a hand digging tool............but it has me thinking........that"s probably what some companies slide onto detector shafts for the grip.

Last edited:

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost 6 years old is my Lesche and still problem free.
Oh and it's been abused too. Lesche digger over Garrett IMO

OP
OP
Guster

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If thats the case then garrett should supply lesche in their package deals. [emoji86] [emoji85] [emoji87]

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesche all the way. It is well worth it's cost. I'm shocked I haven't bent it prying junk targets out of the ground

OP
OP
Guster

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably will at some point. Need to make the garrett work for the time being though.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Lesche all the way. It is well worth it's cost. I'm shocked I haven't bent it prying junk targets out of the ground

Not knocking the lesche....but the Garrett digger is longer and has serrated teeth on both sides. I sharpened the edges, put on a nice strong bicycle handle and now just use the Garrett digger. The steel used is also strong.

KNIFEDISCRIPTION.jpg

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got garrett digger for free with at pro I brought over to use in Europe. Used to quality Lesch I use in the states. Treated garrett digger the same and it bent first hour of use. Spend money on Lesch you won't be sorry.

TreasureJeff77

Mar 12, 2013
Eagan
Detector(s) used
350 GTA Garrett, ACE 250, ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new diggers have a metal cap, but I still had the same issue cap came off and left with a hollow sharp handle. Like mentioned previously I pounded a wood handle in it, which made it wider and longer, much better on my hands and way easier to dig with!! Also I made a stainless steel holder which is hollow so it don't fill up with dirt and such.

Oo-v-oO

Greenie
Sep 22, 2014
Live Free or Die, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Quantum II
Garrett Carrot, Harbor Freight pinpointer
Lesche & Finnish gardening tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of a bicycle grip, you can get rubber tips for a chair or stool leg at home improvement or hardware stores. Just match the diameter and cut the existing Garrett handle so the two butt up against each other. Works great!

That said, I also learned that the Lesche is absolutely the way to go. The steel the Garrett digger is made from is too soft and I had to bend mine back into shape several times.

If you call Garrett, they will probably send you a new one but it will fail, too.

If you look on Amazon, the Lesche is only about $37. Well worth it.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using the Garrett digger with no problems other than the hollow tube. It actually had a metal disk welded to the end when I bought it, but it was poorly welded and I had the same problem you did. Actually haven't fixed it yet, but the wooden plug sounds like a good idea. Other than that, I've used the thing like a pry bar with no problems.

Jcostin

Aug 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They only spot weld them. Mine fell apart as well. I bought a Fiskars gardening tool and it's awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread