AT Pro, do I have a bad coil?

topconsurveyor

Dec 27, 2015
Mitchell, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, so I'm still fairly new to MD'ing but I've had my new AT Pro for about 2 months now and have put in around 100 hours of swinging/digging. Actually the day I got it I had it assembled and dug 3 wheat cents in my first hole about 5 feet from my front door. When I first started using it I never got any falses and when I would ground balance it usually went to like 60-80. Lately however I get constant false high tones pretty much every time my swing changes directions, every time the coil taps anything. Also the ground balancing now runs as high as 89-95 in the same areas that used to be much lower.

I've also been having a hard time getting the "pinpoint" function to work right. About half the time I hold the pinpoint button down I get absolutely nothing, a lot of times it will just scream no matter where I have the coil. I just keep starting and stopping the pinpoint mode until finally after several tries it will start acting right.

Maybe these "problems" are just normal behavior? Or does it sound like I have a bad coil or a malfunctioning machine? I've always taken very good care of it and very careful with it and never had it under water yet..

Thanks

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You probably have to reduce your sensitivity to stop it from beeping at the end of a swing or if you bump it. Also when you pin point don't start over the target. Start about 1' away and move to the target.

You may also try to change the frequency and do a manual ground balance.

Read your garrett book over and over and read all you can online

I really doubt it is your coil. I have probably 800 hours on mine and believe me I am not careful with it. I don't abuse it but I don't have a carry case or coil protector or any of that stuff.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everything Normsel wrote... But also check your connections, if anything is loose, that could add to the issue. I recently got a Storm coil and i didnt wrap the wire around the shaft enough and it was acting similar to what you described, so i gave it another wrap around the shaft and that helped a lot. Also, make sure to coil is tight to the end of the shaft... Just some additional things to check. The Sensitivity that was mentioned was key too, especially at certain site i have... Always need to keep a check on that.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure, like the guy above me said. The plug is tight and try a master reset by holding the power button in 10 seconds or until you here two beeps.

OP
OP
topconsurveyor

topconsurveyor

Dec 27, 2015
Mitchell, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks all, before I read any of these ideas I had already went out to detect for the day, noticed right away I had the coil wire connect just barely threaded on maybe 1 turn, guess I got in a hurry the day I put it together. Got that all the way tightened and turned sensitivity down a notch or 2 and all works much better now.

Thx

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was having the same trouble with the false signal at the end of a swing. Saw on here where someone said to check the connection on the coil cable. Sure enough that was it. This site is a great resource.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions