Looking for a smaller coil for AT Pro

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett AT Pro 4.5" coil | BigBoysHobbies
ATP 4.5.JPG Some will recommend the 5x8 but this one is hotter.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A huge percentage of ATP users here including myself use and prefer the Garrett 5x8" coil and most of us never take it off. The hockey puck sandman shows is just too small to be practical, better for hunting near metal fences, but covers too little ground for general use in trashy parks etc. I am sure the NEL coils around 8" work fine also.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have the 4.5 myself. Near obstacles and large metal objects, its great. First trip out with it I nailed 5 silvers including a half dime near a metal fence. I've never tried the 8x5 or any of the aftermarket sniper coils, so I can't comment on it. Knowing whether you want to hit trashy but open areas, or if you want to get as close as you can to large metal objects might make a difference in your choice.

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 5x8. unless I am open field hunting or dry sand beach I never take it off. It is great for trashy areas. You can go even smaller but the 5x8 has treated me well. Good for brushy areas too. Hit old school area with it. Main grass no targets. Up under bushes and near trees pulled 10 wheats as other hunters coils too big to get in close. Also like the lighter weight, When I go back to the stock coil I notice the weight

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the 4.5 sniper coil and I don't like it. I can separate just as good with the 5x8 double D and don't sacrifice depth. Just my opinion

HH, Relic Nut

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, thanks for everyone's feedback.

It is narrowed down to either a Garrett 5x8 or a NEL Snake, they are both close in price.

Has anyone used both or have a strong opinion one way or the other?

Thanks

twalton

Jul 16, 2008
Virginia, Il
Detector(s) used
At Pro, Whites Prizm 6T, Fisher 1235x, Pioneer 505
The coil you choose will depend on the area you are hunting. One area I hunt using the 5.5 x 9.5 Cors Fortune coil due to a lot of iron and trash. It does a great job of picking out the good target mixed in the iron/pull tab/foil/nail junk. The Super Sniper works well for me when hunting in and around old cellars and foundations. I even scan the walls with it. My detecting partner and I hunted an old house that had burned many years ago and all that was left was the crawl space which was full of debris. Too dangerous to get into so we laid on the ground and poked thru the openings with the sniper coil. Found the melted remains of silver trophies from state fair horse and cattle shows. I still use the stock coil when I am hunting farm fields for old horse farming harness hardware like bells and reigns guides. For me it really just depends on the situation that I am facing that day.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've tested coils on the AT Pro for Kellyco just recently and the results told me that the Garrett 5x8 or the NEL 5.5x9.5 Sharpshooter would fit the bill perfectly. Both are excellent in terms of sensitivity, separation and relative depth for coils of their size. With both coils, I was able to detect a good target with an iron nail even on top of the good target. The tone changed when I place the nail on the target but you'll be able to learn those distinctive sounds after one run through a test scenario.

Just the view from my foxhole...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tested coils on the AT Pro for Kellyco just recently and the results told me that the Garrett 5x8 or the NEL 5.5x9.5 Sharpshooter would fit the bill perfectly. Both are excellent in terms of sensitivity, separation and relative depth for coils of their size. With both coils, I was able to detect a good target with an iron nail even on top of the good target. The tone changed when I place the nail on the target but you'll be able to learn those distinctive sounds after one run through a test scenario.

Just the view from my foxhole...

So, if you you were looking for a smaller coil to complement the AT Pro's stock coil, would you take a NEL Sharpshooter over over the Snake??

Thanks!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
My son has been using a Nel Snake for about 11 months now and he loves it. He hunts parks, around old bunkers, lake shores, beaches church grounds.

I often take him with me on my travels when it is just a fast weekend thing; we hunt all over Europe. For a 12 year old he has found just over a kilogram of silver and around 572 grams of gold and lots of coins since he started with a Nel only 11 months ago.

But it is not my choice, I have not ever used it at all, I have other machines my self. But he keeps telling me that come summer when we head to our summer home in Italy that he is going to smoke my CTX 3030. LOL

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So, if you you were looking for a smaller coil to complement the AT Pro's stock coil, would you take a NEL Sharpshooter over over the Snake??

Thanks!

Personally, I would choose the NEL Sharpshooter or the Garrett 5x8. Both are more universally useful than the smaller 4.5 or 5 inch coils. Either the Sharpshooter or the Garrett 5x8 supplementing the stock 8.5x11 would be a super combination.

Again, just the view from my foxhole....

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I pulled the trigger. My coil arsenal for my AT Pro will consist of the stock 8.5 x 11, a new NEL Sharpshooter 5.5 x 9.5 and a used Garrett 4.5 round.

Hopefully the weather starts to improve around here.

Loonview

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Gaston County NC
Detector(s) used
Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Xterra Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Results

Well, I pulled the trigger. My coil arsenal for my AT Pro will consist of the stock 8.5 x 11, a new NEL Sharpshooter 5.5 x 9.5 and a used Garrett 4.5 round.

Hopefully the weather starts to improve around here.

Toothpick,
Did you ever run a full field test on the nel sharpshooter and the 4.5" puck? Do you think one performs better then the other under the same scenarios? I understand they are completely different, one being concentric and the other a DD, I was just wandering if there were any extremely noticeable differences? I have been kicking around the same idea and with funds a little tight right now was wandering if I could get by with the puck until I have a little more saved up to buy the Sharpshooter?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Get the Garrett 4 1/2 inch Sniper coil. I have used it on my Garrett GTI 2500, ACE 250 and AT Pro. It gets great depth for it's size, better accuracy for IDing targets (concentric coil) and can usually be used running with 100% sensitivity setting for hunts. It costs less then similar after market coils, and Garrett warranty's it for compatibility with Garrett Metal Detectors, unlike after market coil manufacturers. It works great for working trashy areas, as well as working along chain link fences and sidewalks where rebar is usually a problem with larger coils.

garrett-atpro-atgold-test-sniper-spule-coil-nuggets.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread