Garrett Ace 400/400i

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The AT Pro is a better metal detector. It has manual ground balance and is water proof. And....it costs more too!

Wild

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I am not happy I bought a Ace 350 just a couple of months ago.

pencil5757

Apr 29, 2006
Jasper Texas
Detector(s) used
-Garrett AT-PRO, Ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I am not happy I bought a Ace 350 just a couple of months ago.

I got an 350 before the ATPro came out and loved it the double D coil was new to me and now its all I use, I did get a ATPro and that is my main unit (Love It) but my 350 is my back up and if a friend goes its easy to get them started on it. I haven't used the 400 but the changes will surely make it a better unit but it still won't beat a ATPro but like John said it cost more.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better than the rest of the Aces by far.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Wow! That's pretty impressive. I have the ACE 250, with many hours on it. It had paid for itself many times over. But this new line sure has some better bells and whistles incorporated in it, and the depth is excellent!

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty impressed with that video...his soil is pretty nasty stuff. He seems to be rather impressed in the comment section and the video as well. Seems like a good package for $340...headphones and dust cover included.

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After watching many viedo"s of the Ace400, I liked what I viewed, so I ordered the 400 from Kellyco this morning.
The cost is not out of line for the new improved Ace detector, and Garrett is a quality U.S. company, with plenty of years of past manufacturing experience , who"s customer service is #1. The new Ace line is good for newbe"s as well as old hands.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my research, the answer to your question is NO>

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From my research, the answer to your question is NO>

I would tend to agree. It appears Garrett engineering has put the AT Pro's process into the new Aces therefor having a preset ground elimination and less iron range of the ATP. It's no ATP but neither a 250/350 either. Garrett found that "in between" area for people who don't want to spend over $500 but want something better than the successful 250. A good move since others (like the Whites TreasurePro and Fisher F44) was filling that void. Smart.

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disagreement is good, thats what keeps the world moveing. The 400 will keep up and probably outperform the AT Pro in any match on dry land,water excluded.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disagreement is good, thats what keeps the world moveing. The 400 will keep up and probably outperform the AT Pro in any match on dry land,water excluded.

You are probably right except where you have bad soil then that ground balance takes over and the ATP will walk away with honers. Put a ground balance feature on the 400 and it would be on my list of things to do.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised there is not at least a quick ground balance option....hit a button and pump coil....keep going.

I use that 99% of the time on the Land Ranger Pro in my crazy soil. Manually setting the variations that fluctuate 15-20+ every few feet would be maddening. One corner of my gbs at 84...the other at 62. No thanks. Quick ground balance for me.

Surprised Garrett did not add "something" as far as ground balance tweaking. But then again...perhaps that placed it too close the the AT Pro so they backed off a bit and scrapped it? Who knows...

The depth it is hitting in his nasty soil....good stuff for no GB option at all. ID is pretty decent at depth too. Wish he would have made a few more passes on each target however.

Absolutely rivals anything else as far as ID lock and depth at under $400. That recovery speed and separation is pretty rad as well. :thumbsup: I really like it...especially with the black cover. Yellow is...well...yellow.

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In about 1985/86, I purchased a Whites Eagle 2, it had all the bells/whistles for the peroid,including 4 or 5 differant search modes. Relics,coins,Jewlery,prospecting,,and some kind of custom you could make yourself. I don"t recall the KHZ#. I made all kinds of meadiogore to great finds,and others did also with this detector in all kinds of soils. Yet their was no ground balance imbeded in the control box software. Personally I really don"t need it{GB}. Yet I would say the cost of a AT Pro/or AT Gold is worth every dollar they cost. Any detector that can dip 10 ft under water and find goodys is worth their weght in G. for sure.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 300i, and impressed with it with a 7x10 coil, without the iron audio, as I am only concerned with the high good tones anyways..I can always switch to zero disc anyways then be concerned with the iron audio button..is it a nice to have, not really to me? If you are already picking up the tones on coins and jewerly then to me at the same time I already know there is iron in the ground and likely around my good targets..so for the extra money I saved that to put to a new pair of headphones, pinpointer or higher end detector more then the 400i, it is the coil that will drive you to move the 300 to 400, but for comparison you may get a bit better depth. I have not seen a video as of yet of the comparison on the two in a real test bed or even air tests. Heck throw a DD on the 300i and stand it up to the 400i and lets do some comparisons wether one believes spending the extra for a coil if they have the 300i..I as yet have seen the two go head to head on a video comparison. Compared to the AT PRO,if you own a ACE 400 or under learn this with many hours before deciding to go to an AT PRO. I would put my money to a Tesoro Tejon instead vs the AT PRO..my two cents. Keep your 250 to 350 range Aces, but if you own a 400 I myselft would not upgrade to an AT PRO for the difference in the 400 to AT PRO variances.

Last edited:

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A bit hard to pinpoint with larger coil of new ace 400 in trashy park setting!

Any advice

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think Trash is tough on the 11 inch DD, I upgraded to the 14.5 Cors Cannon coil. However, the trick I use is if I get a high tone amidst the crap, I "wiggle" the coil in each direction just an inch or so each way to see if I can worm out the good signal amongst the trash. It works OK, but if its high trash, you really need to invest in a 5 X 8 coil. I am seriously considering one for next year. I hunt a lot of fields and areas where the older coins are deeper than 4 inches, so I went bigger to cover more ground and punch down farther. So far, its been OK. I was around an old house the other week with plenty of crap signals all around it. My friend had a Pro with the NEL Storm. Between us we pulled out 14 wheat pennies, two silver quarters, a silver dime, three pieces of jewelry, including a silver earring and three keys of various types. I want to go back! We also got clad and an old metal toy truck. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread