AT Pro and Coil for Gold Hunting

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I have a question, or a couple I'd say. I'm trying my luck in prospecting for gold. It's been an interesting new journey I might add too. I have an ATP with stock coil and a NEL snake coil. If I want to do a little prospecting which coil should I use? I think the choice would have to be with the NEL? It would make it more sensitive to smaller targets right? I mean regarding gold that is. Of course the ATG would be a much better choice for gold hunting with it's higher frequency: 18khz vs ATP 15khz. Any help Please?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a prospector but would think you'd have better luck with a dedicated nugget detector. Sure the ATP and ATG will find gold nuggets but of what size? Either way a small coil would be more sensitive to pickers. Golfers use different clubs for each shot for a reason.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't already get a nugget hunting book. Use a small practice nugget and tune your detector to get the best response for the ground you are working. The AT Gold manual (free on-line at garrett.com) has some prospecting tips. You won't be getting the tiny ones, but if you find a hot area you can always buy a nugget machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread