QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't take it any longer. The weather still isn't cooperating so I went out anyway. Got a few hours to finally really try my new detector, scoop and pinpointer. I could deal with -1 C but then it started to snow like crazy, once i couldn't hold the pinpointer button to shut it off I knew it was time to go home.

20160410_111331.jpg

20160410_170837.jpg

One thing for sure is this Infinium is super sensitive and it is going to take some time getting familiar with it. I didn't seem to grasp pinpointing too well with it and it is hard to tell what things are with low hi sounds. I had to laugh at myself cause when i finally remembered to pull out my Wader Li I thought how do I get the sound on it, it only vibrates. Duh i had my head phones on, lol. I also tried out my new RTG scoop, really solid but i think it needs a grab handle. Although it doesn't really hold a ton of dirt it was heavy with the wet sand, also needs some type magnet.

Anyway there is alot to learn with this detector, i wasn't very consistent with swinging speed or keeping the scoop far enough away. Anyway no frost bite and it was fun.

Last edited:

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you are using the 10x14 coil -- if you have the 8-inch try practicing with it for a while, as it will be easier to pinpoint with.

PI machines tend to pinpoint off to one side, as due to the nature of their "on/off" pulse transmit / receive the target will be to one side of the coil, slightly.

Try putting several test objects right on the surface and see where it pinpoints from different angles, and vary it with different sizes of targets too. Then you can see where it is pinpointing. After that, try burying the test targets. After you do that for a while, get back to searching and things should be easier.

With PI's swing speed is key for depth -- low and slow is the way to go.

Glad you had fun and didn't freeze -- hopefully it'll warm up more and you can get out and have more fun.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you are using the 10x14 coil -- if you have the 8-inch try practicing with it for a while, as it will be easier to pinpoint with.

PI machines tend to pinpoint off to one side, as due to the nature of their "on/off" pulse transmit / receive the target will be to one side of the coil, slightly.

Try putting several test objects right on the surface and see where it pinpoints from different angles, and vary it with different sizes of targets too. Then you can see where it is pinpointing. After that, try burying the test targets. After you do that for a while, get back to searching and things should be easier.

With PI's swing speed is key for depth -- low and slow is the way to go.

Glad you had fun and didn't freeze -- hopefully it'll warm up more and you can get out and have more fun.

Thanks very much for the tips. I really would like the 8" as this beach is very trashy so it would help quite a bit. Cheers

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll get the hang of it. When you hit the water stick with the smaller coil.
I use a 8" scoop in the water for the same basic reason. Pin pointing is a little more challenging. Having the same size scoop and coil or close to it helps eleminate the guess work.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Round 2 today and this thing is driving me crazy on this beach, lol. Beach is so full of crap, I moved over to a smaller beach where they only launch their kayaks and the chatter wouldn't stop. I guess I better reconsider the 8" purchase cause the 10x14 is just too big for this trashy site.

I'm going to have a popeye arm with this SS scoop, lol. I only got fence wire, bits and pieces of metals , couple pull tabs but had a lot of fun.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the beach today, this has to be the worst iron infested beach ever. Man am I ever going to get a nice day, rainy, fog, super windy and huge waves but stayed out for about 3 hours. My feet were soaking wet, my boots got piled over with water within the first 10 minutes. Swung along the where the waves were crashing and a small edge, got beer caps, chain link fence and bits of metal, did get a fish hook and spinner and this uber cool stainless wire rope clip, in tact. Amazing how stainless stays exactly as new. Was so happy to finally get something good.

A couple of times I gave up casue the whole was like 2 feet around and over a foot deep ,seemed to be no end to pinpoint and the damn waves were filling it quicker than I could scoop. I quickly learned today that wet and dry scoops must exist, this RTG is so slick in the wet sand but not so good in semi wet. But I am getting a little better pinpointing some I actually got in the first scoop and this 5 inch scoop isn't forgiving. I did that little trick of swinging left and right a few inches and move down till it loses the item and scoop at the tip of the coil and sure enough the object was there. I'm liking this Infinium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread