Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new toy. The newer ATP's are lot more steady that the ones first produced. Have fun and get the 5X8 coil as soon as you can.

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I will take your advice. What does the 5x8 do to enhance the performance? will the stock AT Pro coil work on an Ace 250 for any benefit?

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5X8 coil being smaller will work better in trashy area's as you'd have a better chance of getting one target under the coil at once. The point makes pp lots easier and you can slide coil under bushes.

Most coils can't be used on another detector that isn't calibrated for it even if the pins fit female connector.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your purchase of a new ATP you will really like its performance. I wish you many great finds while out dirt fishing with it.

Texas ED

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Detector(s) used
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the support and kind words

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Made a purchase through Stevie Ray too. He also told me the settings that he likes to use. Your going to like it. Good Luck!

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Detector(s) used
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tracking info says out for delivery !!!!

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Build yourself a coin & trash garden in your back yard bury coins - pull tabs - square tabs & aluminum can slaw at various depths and practice in the different modes.

Texas ED

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get some pro type headphones you'll really appreciate the difference in sounds. But first just get used to the Pro

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Detector(s) used
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Build yourself a coin & trash garden in your back yard bury coins - pull tabs - square tabs & aluminum can slaw at various depths and practice in the different modes.

Texas ED

Thanks Texas ED I am working on that !

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will find with the 8x5 coil you will find much more and it's lighter. I had to use my ATP this morning because I had to send my V3i back i for repairs and I plucked $5.35 in clad in 1-1/2 hrs with it. Part of the area I had already went over with my V3i and I still found more. I know my ATP very well so it don't surprise me to find more with it.

Garrett says 100 hours to learn and I say when you have 200 hours on it you really know it and it will produce coins as good as any machine out there. I always use pro mode and you can experiment with settings until you find what you like but I would stick with the one setting until your used to it then experiment with another setting. Don't try to learn to much to fast of you will get frustrated.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on! Save your clad and get yourself a pin pointer next. I haven't forgot about you I've been working on the house a lot.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a side note. I paid for my ATP in 3 months with clad i found. In 2 yrs I had enough more to buy my V3i. Every detector I have had has paid for itself in finds. I don't count the $$$$ I spent on gas to go detecting but in just clad and rings since 2012 when I decided to get serious about detecting because of exercise and wanted something to do I have found $2800+ in clad and $245 in rings. I probably only hunted 10 times in 2015 because I moved and was busy with that. Out of the $2800 I probably found $2000 with my ATP

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Detector(s) used
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will find with the 8x5 coil you will find much more and it's lighter. I had to use my ATP this morning because I had to send my V3i back i for repairs and I plucked $5.35 in clad in 1-1/2 hrs with it. Part of the area I had already went over with my V3i and I still found more. I know my ATP very well so it don't surprise me to find more with it.

Garrett says 100 hours to learn and I say when you have 200 hours on it you really know it and it will produce coins as good as any machine out there. I always use pro mode and you can experiment with settings until you find what you like but I would stick with the one setting until your used to it then experiment with another setting. Don't try to learn to much to fast of you will get frustrated.
Thanks I have been running it in Pro zero with about 35point on the iron. Last night after work I did my chores and was bored so I went back over my front yard , scored a .25C coin and a crushed can both sounded and rang up about the same!

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Detector(s) used
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on! Save your clad and get yourself a pin pointer next. I haven't forgot about you I've been working on the house a lot.

right after My wife gave me the BH Tracker IV I grabbed a derecknix pin pointer,, very helpful ! lets get up soon!

SuperShaun

May 20, 2016
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Delta 4000, Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all I've read and vids about the ATPro I ordered me one this morning can't wait.

Keep swinging my friends!

mjphoto54

Jun 17, 2013
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Omega 8000, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ordered a A T Pro couple days ago and it was home when I got off work. Put it together but didn't get to try it yet. Hoping I like it and looking forward to learning it.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Captbo, set that can and that quarter down on the ground again and notice that the quarter signal is much shorter and the can is a longer tone. Evan a small aluminim can top will give the the longer tone than an ike dollar.
I've got both the at pro and the at gold and I do work some pretty trashy areas but find the standard coil works just as well as the small coil without losing the larger coil depth. If you're in a seriously iron infested area, where there is targets every inch or less, then, ya, give the small coil a try. Pinpointing is a breeze once you know it.
I've got to have 4000 hours in with the pro and several hundred with the at gold which is now my go to machine with the standard at pro coil. My at pro has a 15" coil on it. My 5x8 is in a box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread