Question about reducing ground balance for silver

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard that too but I talked to the people at garrett and they said the machine would run at its best at the preset 90. I ran mine there the whole time I had it and scored some killer finds including a couple silver coins.that ground balance issue is over complicated in my opinion . you can knock items out if you balance it wrong if its stable at 90 leave it imo. I dont even ground balance my new deus it says in the manual not to if the ground is not highly mineralized btw the people at garret said they didnt know if lowering it would help on silver I personally think its good on silver set up from the factory setting.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does make it more sensitive however it will start chattering in most areas I hunt. So never experimented much with it.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
If you lower the ground balance numbers, you make your unit more sensitive to higher conductors, such as silver. The opposite is also true......raise the numbers a few numbers, and the lower conductors become more sensitive. However, it may in some cases, depending on the characteristics of your soil matrix, make the detector even more unstable, so you have to look at the whole picture. To get the best depth........read my article below:

* With the AT Pro, learn and hunt in Pro mode. It is deeper then standard mode. With the AT Gold, the all metal mode is deeper then Disc 1 or Disc 2.

* Has a place been hunted out? Go back and try again after a good rain soaking. Moist wet soil gives better sensitivity and greater depth readings for targets.

* If you get a nice high aHow To Get Maximum Depth + Performance Out Of Your AT Series ( Pro & Gold)
udio and a VDI in the 70's or 80's, dig it.

* The larger the coil the deeper it goes. However, too many targets under a large coil can mask a good target. If you get a slight good audio using the large coil, lift it up 2-3 inches and center the coil where the good audio was. Often times the good target will be much clearer.

* Get a coil cover and scrub the ground. Some people scan the ground inches above it...."DON'T" You can gain a couple of inches scrubbing, which is significant.

* Don't swing too fast! Just because it has a very fast "recovery speed"......doesn't mean it can always pick out that one good silver coin amongst several pieces of junk. The electronics still need to process lots of information.

"SWING TOO FAST, YOU WILL COME IN LAST"

* Swinging too fast can make you a sloppy hunter. You also risk eventually cracking/breaking your coil and elephant ears from the constant banging on trees, playground equipment or concrete.

* If you are getting lots of EMI or increased mineralization which is causing erratic audio, try adjusting your discrimination first, before lowering the sensitivity. This sometimes lets the machine run smoother without losing any depth.

* If you get mixture of audio signals, scan the target from different directions. Sometimes a good target is beside or partially underneath a good target. The AT Series has a unique ability to pick out those good targets amongst the trash. Going at the target from different directions allows the AT Pro to perform even better!

* Ground balance your machine occasionally. Temperature can change, and directly affect the settings. Hunting in shade vs. sun can vary. "a 14 degree difference on a lawn area to a 35 degree difference on a parking lot." But, the mineralization can also change between areas....so again...ground balance periodically.

* To increase the depth/sensitivity to silver targets, lower the ground balanced numbers a few points

* If you are hunting an area that is absolutely covered with nails, try ground balancing out a nail until it is nothing but a small amount of static. Now....all the copper & silver targets will give a loud audio response....BUT the target ID will be off.
*Bottle cap? Stomp hard on the target. Often times, an old bottles cap's halo will break, and the reading will change from a good coin sounding target to a bottle cap or junk.
Don't forget to use the iron audio feature if searching for coins or silver.
* Build a test garden...use good & bad targets at different depths. You will soon discover that deep silver targets beyond depths of 8 or more inches begin to not sound off as a high pitch or that the VDI numbers remain in the 80's. That is very good information to know. My rule of thumb states if it's deep....it's old. Dig it! It costs you nothing.

My Videos - Detecting, Water land & Snow, Coin Ring Crafting & Shotgun Shell Ring Crafting

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8CORF4dsmopibINy0fWzGA

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your input

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Thanks everyone for your input

Good luck with your detecting. Hope you get lots of great treasures!

200 (4).gif

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Want deep silver look at the bigger Nel coils they are awesome

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
John as usual gives some "Great" advise. I'd just like to add that running the machine too hot on the sensitivity can also work against you and has a direct correlation to the ground balance settings. Some think maxing the sens out gives the best result and this is not true. At some point the basic understanding of the machine really turns into a basic understanding of the science behind the machine. Good Luck!!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go the Garrett website and click on the Sport Division, then Warranty/Support then Owners Manuals, then look at the AT Gold manual (This info in NOT in the AT Pro manual), there is some info in the Ground Balance section and in the Advanced Tips and Techniques.

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't over complicate detecting... You will find more by not trying to chase the optimum setting.. I have tried many settings on my V3i that the so called guru's say are the ultimate settings and tried every setting different guys say work best on the ATP and I never found them to be enough better than a tweaked setting from the manf. I will put myself up against anyone with an ATP.. The more you hunt the more you find...

Messing with ground balance on the ATP is like turning iron audio to 0 and hunting for silver...

You can do what you want with a test garden but no matter what you do you will never get the soil as compacted or the same as virgin hunt.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I don't think people realize ground balancing is really important especially in mineralized ground. There is an old nugget hunting book that has skyrocketed in price called Zip Zip The Advanced Course has some good info in it. Maybe you can borrow a copy from someone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread