What is the best large coil for the AT Gold?

lespaul337

Jan 17, 2014
Lake Charles
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Waterproof Pro Pointer, MineLab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt with an AT Gold as well and wanted a bigger coil for searching open fields and beaches. Also wanted something a little larger than what Garrett offers so I ended up buying a Cors scout 12.5 x 8.5 inch DD from Amazon. Apparently this is a copy of the NEL Hunter coil or vice versa. $142 with free shipping. I don't have too many hours on it yet but it seems to detect most targets about 3 inches deeper than the 5 x 8 while giving me at least twice the ground coverage per swing. I'm happy with it so far as it pinpoints well and target ID numbers are consistent with the 5 x 8 but have to say it does get heavy after a while. Maybe I've just gotten spoiled with the ultra light 5 x 8's weight though. I don't have enough experience with the Cors yet to determine if it is the best or deepest but for my needs it's working just fine. Good luck and happy hunting. ☺

Edit - used the Cors on the beach at Ocean Shores this weekend for several hours. Nothing special was found but I did get a clad dime at 8 inches, a nickel at 12 inches and a hot wheels car at 15 inches in the dry sand. Much deeper results than I was used to with the stock 5 x 8 coil.☺

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread