$250 Budget - Prizm II or Ace 250 Or ___ ?

alienbogey

Jun 21, 2007
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the deal:

I have some experience nugget detecting and have recently been doing some coin shooting. I know more than a newbie about detectors but far less than experts here.

I would like to get a detector for my father-in-law who has been showing an interest. In fact, his wife got him one of those super cheap plastic jobs from costco or somewhere that can barely find a nail in and is essetially useless.

As much as I would like to get him a new DFX, there is perhaps $250 in the budget to get him a new detector, and my wife's sister will then get him an accessory or two.

It would be used for coin shooting at least 90% of the time - the usual parks, campgrounds and perhaps old houses/foundations in the woods. He may on very rare occasions get to a saltwater beach. If he ever wanted to chase nuggets he could use my MXT or GMT. Relic hunting is not a factor - not a lot of Civil War battlefields in the Pacific Northwest.

Ease of use is important, although he's one of the handiest guys I know - can fix anything - he's not a big reader or modern technology guy. Also, discrimination is important as, being in his 70's, there are a limited number of times a day he can get down and dig.

The stock coil is important - they're on a very limited budget, so he won't be able to go out and buy a number of different coils or other performance enhancers - at least until he decides whether he really likes the hobby or not.

Those are all the factor I can think of.

Okay, so I've been all over the internet and have pretty much narrowed it down to a White's Prizm II or Garret Ace 250. I'm a White's guy, but the Ace 250 seems like it might fit the bill a little better.

What do you guys think?

P.S. I'm posting this on the White's and Garrett forums, we'll see which crowd can sell me on "their" brand. ;D

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Haha you just sparked the debate like great taste or less filling. ;D

I’ve not had the whites but the Ace is very easy to learn and understand what you’ve found, each tone is very different. Understanding a coin form iron or foil isn’t hard to remember. It’s a strong detector for the money and is easy to adjust.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alienbogey...Let me just say this..I think he would be happy with either machine. I was in the same boat back around the end of Feb of this year..Just didn't know what to get. I had a BH and an old whites. The more I read and the more I listened I went with the Ace 250....Some folks will say it is the best machine for the bucks...I will go further and just say it is a great machine. It has 5 preset modes and I do mostly coinshooting and jewelry hunting...The only thing I can say that is not real good about it is if you do a lot of beach hunting..it doesn't like wet sandy beaches too much..but you can turn down the sens and it does pretty good. I know he will enjoy MDing and good to have someone like you looking after his interests..lol HH Btw..the totals at the bottom of my post was all found with the ace250...Since March 1...

shadow0966

Sep 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX300,Tesoro Tejon
Well I can definetly say that my ace is a coin shooter if there ever was one and I am in no way knockin the prizm because I know someone who owns one and it does a good job also but the ace 250 does come with a couple of extra things that I like.
For example: It has a multi tone function for different types of targets
It also has a depth indicator
A full range 12 notch discrimination(prizm has 5)
It also has a cool look to it

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I own a Prizm ll and it is definitly alot of bang for the buck. I love the pinpointer feature, the accuracy is right on,it takes rough handling and have hunted in the rain with no problems . I love this lightweight machine and if it ever dies on me I would buy another one. Target I.D. Display shows I.D. of target as you hunt. Hear and see targets!

5-Range Discrimination adjusts so you pick what you want to see and hear. Hear and see it all, or just the good stuff.

Adjustable Sensitivity maximizes detection depth in varying grounds.

PinPoint/All-Metal Mode makes locating your target a snap. Just push the pad!

8-inch waterproof search coil.

Rugged, water resistant control box. Just 2.5 pounds, too.This is great because its so light it doesnt kill me to hunt along time.

Low Battery Alert. Powered by 2 9-volt batteries

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Gypsy...the Prizm is a fantastic detector and will find all kinds of goodies. I use Whites, have an M6 and a Prizm III and love both. Friends use a Prizm II and have found great old coins with it. I have never seen or used an Ace 250 so can;t speak for or against that detector, but have heard great things about it. Either way you are gonna end up with a great detector for him so I would say you are in a win-win situation.
Whites though does have FANTASTIC cutomer service and also if you send a story into them and they accept it they will send you a $200 merchandise certificate for accesories.(I;ve gotten 3 of them). Whites also stands by their machines, I have called about ordering broken arm pieces( from me dropping the detector) etc. on my Prizm and they not only sent them right out, but didn;t charge me for them.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I use the 250 and have used all the Prizms and the 250 beats them all.
Ace over the P2
12 zone target ID
True notch discrimination
5 modes of operation all can be adjusted
depth indicator
Always on battery gauge
2 accessory coils at reasonable prices
Runs on 4 cheap AA batteries
Stock coil will cover more ground per sweep
SunRay pinpointer is available

P2 over the Ace 250
Pinpoint button can lock on for all metal hunting