New to AT Gold - Small Jewelry question

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I couldn't stand it anymore and bought an AT Gold to try. I have a question for more experienced hunters regarding foil and pull tab VDIs while park hunting:

I have only put about 2 hours time into the AT Gold, but I can say already, with about 99% certainty, when something is foil or a pull tab.

Foil = jumpy VDI in foil range, raspy/broken audio, and occasional iron audio grunt
Pull tab = Solid VDI in pull tab range, strong but hints of broken audio, and solid "low high low" iron audio grunt

My question is, primarily in the foil range, has anyone ever dug small jewelry that was jumpy, broken, and light grunty? Ie, am I going to miss small jewelry, or can I trust the AT Gold to let me know when it isn't foil? Obviously I will dig anything that is questionable, but just wanted more experienced users advice. I feel like it is really obvious when something is foil or a pull tab with this machine, but I don't have any small jewelry to test with.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small jewelry or foil can give you funny sounds as the coils field follows the surface of the item. White gold reads in the foil range a lot an these can be ladies rings with huge stones. About 90% of yellow gold rings start at iron and upwards depending on the size of the ring. Chains don't beep well on detectors unless there is a pendent or closure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread