Garrett Pro-pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There have been a couple positive reviews on the 300 here. I'd be inclined to say go for it if you can swing it - maybe even the 400.

You can always keep the 250 for backup or sell it.

Welcome to TreasureNet!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 400 ( the same detector except coil size. iron feature, operating freq.) and for about the same investment you could have a Land Ranger Pro which has ground balance which would allow detecting in a greater range of soil types. I am not very pleased with the 400 at all. In my estimation the LRP is a far better choice. I will take my LRP out most every time over the Garrett. The tiny bit of increased operating frequency of the Garrett does not seem to be beneficial at all during normal use that I have noticed at all for my type of hunting. Because of having ground balance the LRP will give you greater depth in medium to bad soil. Good luck with your decision.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
for about the same investment you could have a Land Ranger Pro which has ground balance which would allow detecting in a greater range of soil types.

I completely agree with this statement, a much better choice!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I second the LRP vote.

I've never used one, but did have an Ace250 for a very short time.... Ground balancing turns metal detecting into a different hobby from just listening for bell tones. It's annoying hunting when you know you don't have any power over the ground beneath you.

OP
OP
Dirt_Hunter

Dirt_Hunter

Jun 1, 2016
Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank y'all so much for all the replies. Unfortunately I cannot afford the Ace 400, and if I want to get the 300 I will need to sell my 250. Perhaps when I get a job I can look into the 400, or even the AT-Pro, I can dream can't I?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I would lean towards the ACE 300. It packs more power (can'r run it full sensitivity) which can mean more depth then the 250. The mid range where gold reads, is very sensitive. It really hits hard on pull tabs, which might be a curse for coin/relic hunters, but a blessing for those searching for gold rings. However, you have the option of notching out those pull-tab/gold numbers. The ACE 300 is real hot on coins and rings. I have already pulled out a couple of rings with mine along with a large amount of coins as of 4 hunts to date. It is really nice to see Garrett making improvements to the ACE platform. You get a lot of "machine" for it's price.

OP
OP
Dirt_Hunter

Dirt_Hunter

Jun 1, 2016
Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very helpful, thank you sir!

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From all the above suggestions, I agree with those supporting the LRP. The 300 isn't that much better than what you have IMO. The LRP cost $150.00 more than the 300 but well worth it IMO. Enjoy your ACE250 until more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ comes your way.:icon_thumright:
Marvin

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From all the above suggestions, I agree with those supporting the LRP. The 300 isn't that much better than what you have IMO. The LRP cost $150.00 more than the 300 but well worth it IMO. Enjoy your ACE250 until more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ comes your way.:icon_thumright:
Marvin

I think the difference is about $50 not $150.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread