AT Pro vs. ACE 300i .....Found Ring #15, #16, #17

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I took out the AT Pro yesterday to some old areas in Edmonton. Hunted a couple of hours and found some coins, a silver dime , a ring and an old brass bell along with some old shotgun shell cartridges. Tonite, I hunted a similar area as well as an old park. I am gaining a lot of confidence with the new Garrett ACE 300i (International version) so I tried my luck. It goes quite deep, however, the conductivity of targets changes at a shallower depth compared to the AT Pro. An example would be a square pull tab. It reads at about 78 (VDI) at surface to a couple of inches. The, as it gets deeper, the numbers start going up into the low 80's. A copper penny will also do a similar thing. At surface to a couple of inches, it reads in the low 80's, however, as it gets deeper, the numbers go up to the 90's. This is good information to be aware of, as it is not in any manual. It just validates the old adage that one must really know their machine well. Both machines were using concentric coils. I have never been a fan of DD coils. Concentric coils give more accurate readings compared to DD coils. The best example I can give is bottle caps. Concentric coils more often read them as junk, whereas DD coils read them as coins. Also, using the inner toe of the coil on a concentric coil to pinpoint, you get an immediate depth of the target hint, based on how fast the audio cuts out. So, concentric coils ID better, pinpoint better and give an estimate of depth based on an audio signal. However, a DD coil might out perform a concentric coil in highly mineralized soil. Smaller concentric coils also do an excellent job of target separation.....pulling out coins in junk infested areas. So, for today's hunt:

AT Pro - 9" x 12" Concentric coil

ACE 300i - 7" x 10" Concentric

at%201_zpsroxgzros.jpg~original

Here are my finds from yesterday's hunt using the AT Pro. The detector worked as expected. I hunted on coins mode with the iron disc, set at 35 and sensitivity at full, with no falsing, except a small area where I was getting some electrical interference. I just turned down the sensitivity and that solved the problem. Below are my better finds.

at%204_zpskxqyone9.jpg~original

Managed a silver 1960 dime. A also found a copper ring, which needed a lot of polishing to get it looking somewhat decent.

at%206_zpsiyife6jj.jpg~original

I also dug an old brass bell, which nearly blew my ears out. And go figure....one half a ring.

at%202_zpsvcqtgaid.jpg~original

Here are my finds using the ACE 300 (International Version). It is a very sensitive machine, and because it does not have the modulated volume like the AT Pro, (Modulation - deep targets are quieter the shallow targets, which of course are loud) all the targets have the same volume level. This is a nice change, as you can easily hunt without using a headset in quieter areas without missing a target. I again ran into some electronic interference.....so this time I changed frequencies, it then it ran stable. The ACE Series are very powerful. I could not run the ACE 300 at full sensitivity. That tiny thin ring rang in loud and clear in the mid 80's. All good targets with a good conductivity in the coin, gold and silver range get a unique bell tone signal. Charles Garrett often referred to this "bell tone" signal as the "Sound of Money." When in real trash areas, I notch out everything except the last 3 notches. I lose my gold, but get all my coins including silver. Below are my better finds.

at%203_zpsxj0izjio.jpg~original

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread