Gold coin cache.Whats best unit that ignores ALL other signals?

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're looking for gold you have to dig every signal it's that simple

I have chased legends and stories that claimed to be true and got nothing but exercise. I chased one in S. IL for three years and found nothing but broken mason jars and a lunch bucket. A gangster supposedly hid his money on a farm he owned and I hunted the area over and over and actually found proof of his moonshine stills and an old lunch bucket they said he buried his loot in but no trace of the money. After continuous research I figured out his driver went and got the loot after he was murdered. His driver drove him to the farm every time he buried something or was said to bury the loot.

I chased a rumor of hidden gold in a cave and I found a small cave that was supposed to have a treasure of gold in it but nothing was there except a 1922 dime.

I even chased a rumor of hidden gold buried in a metal box and had a location within 50' and a family member take to the location. He did the digging and I detected when he got wore out we gave up. No gold

I used my V3i and AT Pro to locate what I found but never any gold.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If he didn't have a footbridge, he was not crossing any water to hide anything. Misdirection to keep the wife from getting his precious. Good luck, but like all treasure tales.....

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think I'd be worrying about which detector will be the perfect one for finding the gold. It sounds like he didn't leave for a long time, so you would think it would be pretty close and not to deep. And as many have said, gold can be all over the charts on your read out and sound.

First thing I would do, research.
Second, get back out there and and do some walking. See how far you can walk from the homestead, that would get you back in a relatively short time. (but how long would he be gone?)
Third, if your pretty confident it's out there somewhere, I would think the only way your going to have the best success, is to grid it. I know you could be talking about acres to grid, but if it's a solid story, that this guy actually did bury his gold, damn I'm all over it. Just ask yourself, if going to a park, school grounds, another homestead, would be better then spending a month or more gridding a couple of acres for a possible gold cache.

As much as I'm sure you would like to find it yourself, buddy up with someone who you trust. It would certainly make it more enjoyable.

Dig everything. Just ask yourself, do I really want to pass up that signal? Might be the one!!

Real life treasure hunt. Pretty Cool!:thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my understanding .

1408928783844.jpg

images.jpg
index.jpg

Joking Aside. How do you Know your Cache is in a Gold Container ?

If the Gold is in A Tin box or Bucket with a Lid.
the cache is going to signal as a piece of Rotted Metal or Landfill
depending on conditions.

if it is in mason jars, with lids, it will signal as mason jar lids.

if in a copper kettle,..... copper, of course.

Get my Point ?

to find as cache you need to dig Every signal, No matter how unlikely.

Also Remember If the cache was buried in a satchel, no other metal attached.
Just like a Gold Chain.
the Coin closest to the coil Will be the Loudest, & the rest will sound like
highly Mineralized Ground, as the detector tries to pinpoint.

Don't believe Me ?

Try it.

Bury as hand full of Coins in dirt, Wait a few months just to let it Percolate,
and swing over it.

You shouldn't get a Big Banging sound, It should sound like Trash,
again, just like a chain without a large charm.

the Silver & copper coin Cache I found, in a rotted away Tobacco tin.
first sounded like Trash with a Possible chance of a coin mixed in.
every signal sounded that way. & that's Silver & copper.

DSCF0007.JPG

add to that, I found another Half in that same Spot on a hunt a few days before.
& walked away. thinking there was only trash left. :BangHead:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread