Gold coin cache.Whats best unit that ignores ALL other signals?

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
I am completely open to ANY brand of detector.

We are using a Garrett Ace 250. (I was unsure where to post this.) I think we are using the wrong detector for what we are after. So, I am looking for suggestions of what would be best to buy in $600-900, and recommended settings, to find what we are after.

We've done 6 months of research and have found the location with permission to search. An old man died in 1808, was a purported miser known to save all his gold coins from horse sales in VA. The wife was never able to find them. They had no children. He used to keep them in the cabin, but in later years hid them "on the hill". He would go at night, but came back shortly. So, we think its not that deep, and not that far from the cabin, which still stands. The "hill" starts within 250 feet of the cabin, and is in view of the front and side windows. But, there is a creek between the cabin and the hill. Large trees on both sides of the creek were probably there back then, so explains why the wife could never see exactly where he went(?).

Our problem is with the Ace250 that we get loads of false signals. Must be high iron content in the soil? We are looking for a machine that is specifically for gold cache of coins in one spot.

Garrett ATX is the kind of performance we need, but dang, that is expensive!! Is there something out there that is similar? That unit can go DEEP, which we believe we don't need, but it screens out EVERYTHING and "sniffs" ONLY for gold very well from all my research. So, something really good with large amount of gold, but screens out everything else, and we don't need super-deep penetration. (We believe it must be no more than 12-15 inches deep)

So, I am sure we need as large as possible coil(to get us deep as possible), but what is out there in market that has proven itself to be able to locate gold well in mineralized soils? ACE250 is giving us false signals all the time!! (we dig them, signal disappears...ughhh...)

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
A dedicated only gold detector that screens out everything else?
A fairy tale.
Not to mention gold is the ninja of all metals and can disguise itself into so many other things.
Small rings and nuggets can show up as iron on up into foil, larger pieces might seem to be all kinds of other trash items up the line.
Large amounts you might think would be easy to read high tones but I assume not...could very well overload most detectors and even come in as iron...including using those expensive PI's.

Those false signals you are getting...one of them might be that cache nearby that isn't exactly under the coil and using other detectors might be the same.

Two box detectors are good at picking up larger targets but even that might not work as well as you might think.

What if these coins are in a metal box or other container, just piling a bunch of coins in a glass jar can throw off a signal that would not be obvious.
If that cache is actually there at all.

A better detector might help, a sturdy shovel is probably going to be the best tool for this job.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your not going to find something that sniffs out only gold. You can descriminate other signals but a gold hoard is not going to read as a gold ring would. I would say it will be a higher tone and if it's buried in a metal container or has a metal lid that will change everything. An Etrac or anything similar that works in high mineralized soil will find it easily at a foot. Good luck!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go along with the other 2 posters.....odds are if it's a cache it would be in some other container such as a glass jar with a metal lid or a metal box and those would distort away from the gold reading.

Some of the rings in my avatar rang up in the coin range and not mid range as you would suspect.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
morbiusandneo

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Thanks everyone for your comments. I really appreciate all the help. Its been many years since I have posted here, sorry for the multiple posts as noted. But, I was not sure where to put this.

Now that I know that no such device exists, maybe you all can make some recommendations for make & models assuming it was hidden in a leather satchel? I am open to options, as I have said.

New or combination of used items from ebay?? For instance, so far I am looking at maybe two. A 2-box used for $300, plus a used Minelab X-Terra 305 Metal Detector w/ 9" Coil $230. Or, new Minelab X-Terra 705 for $600. But, I don't know.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
morbiusandneo

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Rob,

I apologize for my ignorance, but what is an ETRACK? Is it a 2-box?? Can I get make & model, so I can look it up? thnx!! ;-)

Your not going to find something that sniffs out only gold. You can descriminate other signals but a gold hoard is not going to read as a gold ring would. I would say it will be a higher tone and if it's buried in a metal container or has a metal lid that will change everything. An Etrac or anything similar that works in high mineralized soil will find it easily at a foot. Good luck!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am completely open to ANY brand of detector.

We are using a Garrett Ace 250. (I was unsure where to post this.) I think we are using the wrong detector for what we are after. So, I am looking for suggestions of what would be best to buy in $600-900, and recommended settings, to find what we are after.

We've done 6 months of research and have found the location with permission to search. An old man died in 1808, was a purported miser known to save all his gold coins from horse sales in VA. The wife was never able to find them. They had no children. He used to keep them in the cabin, but in later years hid them "on the hill". He would go at night, but came back shortly. So, we think its not that deep, and not that far from the cabin, which still stands. The "hill" starts within 250 feet of the cabin, and is in view of the front and side windows. But, there is a creek between the cabin and the hill. Large trees on both sides of the creek were probably there back then, so explains why the wife could never see exactly where he went(?).

Our problem is with the Ace250 that we get loads of false signals. Must be high iron content in the soil? We are looking for a machine that is specifically for gold cache of coins in one spot.

Garrett ATX is the kind of performance we need, but dang, that is expensive!! Is there something out there that is similar? That unit can go DEEP, which we believe we don't need, but it screens out EVERYTHING and "sniffs" ONLY for gold very well from all my research. So, something really good with large amount of gold, but screens out everything else, and we don't need super-deep penetration. (We believe it must be no more than 12-15 inches deep)

So, I am sure we need as large as possible coil(to get us deep as possible), but what is out there in market that has proven itself to be able to locate gold well in mineralized soils? ACE250 is giving us false signals all the time!! (we dig them, signal disappears...ughhh...)

This makes no sense? Garrett ATX is the kind of performance we need, but dang, that is expensive!!
If you find the gold this will seem cheap... :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
morbiusandneo, I just answered your post on the "general discussion" section where you posted it. And I see here that others are chiming in with the same observations. Digger 27 answered it perfectly. As did Rob, etc...:

A dedicated only gold detector that screens out everything else?
A fairy tale......Two box detectors are good at picking up larger targets but even that might not work as well as you might think.
...... If that cache is actually there at all. ..... A better detector might help, a sturdy shovel is probably going to be the best tool for this job.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rob,

I apologize for my ignorance, but what is an ETRACK? Is it a 2-box?? Can I get make & model, so I can look it up? thnx!! ;-)

A Minelab Etrac is not a 2 box just one of the many quality detectors out there that work well in bad soil and get good depth. You can purchase a nice used one for around $700. If in fact the cache exists as you claim it would easily find an object of that size at that depth. Worse case, you can start a new hobby.

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine lab CTX or a DEUS would be my choice. If you're sure about the story then buying a good detector makes sense. If it's buried a couple feet deep you might be out of luck. I'd enlist some help and have them sign some carefully worded contracts if I were you. Personally I need to say that there are a LOT of stories like this and you might be on a wild goose chase.

OP
OP
morbiusandneo

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Tom & Rob,

Thanks so much gentlemen. You have been MOST informative & extremely helpful.

I'm mostly sure its not a wild goose chase because the lead comes from a document from that period, non-published, non-campfire hokum source. We know we have the right area because the log cabin still stands with 1781 carved inside above the door. His original property was quite large(i believe it was 9 sections) and was much driving back & forth asking people if they knew of such a cabin in the area.

Funds are limited, and right now the E-Trak busts the budget at $1,000 used on ebay now. So, gonna probably buy the Garrett ACE250 used, and the TM808 used there (currently renting the 250).

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
That is what a women that I just started to date told me.

Gonna be honest with you. Don't know how old you are, but I promise you that women are very interesting. They will be"just friends", dating partners and then one day you suddenly become the most important thing in their lives and they have to be with you forever. Can't explain it, just know that it happens(n my case 4 times). THEN you have to rethink the whole thing. Is this what I want? What do I do now? I promise you she wasn't talking about a gold detector and she'll change ger mind at any time. Just enjoy the ride...

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From your account of getting "false" signals, I think you're better off investing your time in learning how detectors work and becoming proficient with one than worrying about which detector to buy (especially if your target is not buried deep). Either that or enlist a couple of good detectorists to help you. Write up a binding contract that entitles them to a share if the cache is found.

The original post makes it seem like you are expecting a metal detector to find this cache for you, but that's rarely how treasure hunting works. Spend time with local resources like libraries, tax records, etc. to figure out the lay of the land back when this guy lived there. Then try to get "inside his head" - where would YOU have buried the loot? Once you've really narrowed the field, bring in the detector.

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good advise about doing your research well. If the dude owned 9 sections of land, whew! It could take the rest of your life to cover all of that land and if you missed evenn1 square foot you might miss your target, or if you were tired that day and decided not to dicing a certain signal because it "sounded like iron" you could miss it.

OP
OP
morbiusandneo

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
CDO. Thanks.The research has been done. Time spent. Field narrowed down, plus many, many details left out. Partnership positions are full up.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One possible choice is a Tesoro Lobo with the BIG loop. It has a high frequency for gold, but the precise machine you're looking for, as previously stated by others, does not exist.

OP
OP
morbiusandneo

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Yes, Smokeycat, I had considered that one. Had a good friend in Gold Hill, OR that swore by that machine!! He did very, very well finding pockets of placer gold allover his area for year with that machine. Hit one pocket with over 20 ounces one summer with it. He passed away. Never filed any mining claims, which I encouraged him to do repeatedly over the years. Now his secret honey holes are lost until somebody finds them again some day. He map dowsed during the winter, then when summer would come and the creeks receded he rarely came back empty. His wife never found his gold either.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably just need a machine with adjustable ground balance. An ATPro will probably work and can be bought $400. There are many machines in the 4-$700 range that will probably work. If the magical cache never us found you still have a good machine for many other detecting adventures

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread