Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the unit as a gift for Christmas and have only had it out a handful of times. I primarily use my deus for land and now that the seasons warmed up I've begun taking the ATP on water hunts. 2 river hunts under her belt and this weekend a beach hunt.
Spent about 4 hours off and on on dry sand and chest deep. Was submerged 0-2ft sustained for probably 2 hours. Ran somewhat decently with the factory coil, some falsing even after balancing and dropping the sens but from what I read nothing out of the ordinary.
Washed her down when I got home and put her away. Went to go out on a hunt this evening and pressed the power key. A single faint beep, all lcd signals appeared dim then faded out. Removed the batteries checked for any water intrusion from the obvious areas and can't figure it out. Just dead. Tried 3 sets of various brands of new batteries to no avail. Here she sits, quiet and sullen. Going to call garrett tomorrow and hopefully they can do something for me. I'm 3 coils and 2 headsets invested into this bugger, hate to think my waterproof machine isn't waterproof :(

OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else had an issue like this?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you grease the o-rings with silicone?

OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No sir, they had plenty on them

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The lubricant on the o rings from Garrett is minimal, a thicker goop, from the advice of those before me, is recommended.
I put a generous amount at the battery housing, and the 2 connections for the coil and headphones...
My guess is there was some salt water intrusion, and in the time between hunts, she pooped out...
Not saying for sure, just a guess....either way, you will be ok...Garrett will tighten it up...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another AT Pro sucks water.:BangHead:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Was the detector hot and the water cold when you hosed it down after the hunt? If so, those conditions can produce a great negative pressure, possibly pulling some water into the machine..... That's just a guess? It sounds like the machine worked like it was supposed to in the water up until you finished the hunt. Perhaps it is the battery pack? Try putting your tongue on the and of the battery pack with 4 x AA batteries in it. You should feel a slight buzz on your tongue. Call Garrett and see what they can do for you. It is still under warranty and Garrett has very good customer service. Good luck!

I know of some detectors costing 3 x as much as the AT Series which are often leaking. I always take extra care when using any of my machines in the water. A visual check and a quick hand tight test of all the connectors is a must. Never put a hot coil/machine in cold water. Cool the machine off first in the shade if it is hot from being in the car or the sun.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out for you.....

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a sim issue with my 150 , slight corrosion on the contact from batt to circuit board , wiped it with crocus cloth and little bit of grease good to go, now no clue how the AT is put together with the water proof seals , betting sim issue , but send it back for warranty work

OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unit had been sitting inside for a few hours before rinsing it off, battery pack is good. They gave me an rma to send it in for evaluation / repair. Hope it's resolved the first go round and doesn't crop up again.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got an AT Pro this afternoon, during assembly I had to try a few times to seat the connector for the coil properly (it wasn't easy). It is possible to connect it partially and still tighten the lock ring. Do you think it's possible that yours was not fully seated (to the shoulder of the connector) thereby allowing a little water to seep in when you submerged it?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that the headphone and coil jacks have o-rings to keep water out of the jack itself which can lead to corrosion inside the connector. Most connectors like this will not allow water intrusion into the actual housing itself. Anyone confirm or deny this?

OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my understanding too. After opening the battery compartment and placing my lips around the jack connectors and blowing air into them despite any and all efforts air pressure will not "leak down" as far as I can tell into the connectors themselves. This leads me to believe they would obviously be water tight too
This would mean the possible areas of fault would be where the plug body passes through the housing, the battery compartment gasket, the faceplate gasket, and possibly the speaker seal or cone itself

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that the headphone and coil jacks have o-rings to keep water out of the jack itself which can lead to corrosion inside the connector. Most connectors like this will not allow water intrusion into the actual housing itself. Anyone confirm or deny this?

They do, but when I initially put mine together, I found that it takes a little finagling (effort) to get the jack to seat all the way down to the shoulder (there is a shoulder on the jack) before tightening the lock ring.

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett will make it right. Customer service is great. They basically gave me a new metal detector when mine began falsing after 2 years. Replaced the coil, circuits, and front panel. It was back to me in a week. Sounds like maybe something just went on it. I would think it would have been jumpy/chirpy if water had gotten in it. Either way i would put silicon gel around the o rings. Good luck.

OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nearly $250 later and a replacement box and coil is on its way to me. Hopefully this one will last longer than 3 water hunts...

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I can't believe Garrett charged him since the water got in through the faceplate and not through any negligence.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking on probably getting another detector, NOT a Garrett. I'm feeling devastated. I mean c'mon it's not a 200$ purchase and I bought it with the idea of using it on land/water hunts. But now I know it ain't fully submersible. If you get caugh in rain? Yes it'll survive but again, they advertise it as a waterproof machine but will only survive a couple of dives? Like I said on my Dead ATP thread "they should rename the machine from "water proof" to "water resistant"!

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a post somewhere where an individual replaced his faceplate because it was damaged. Garrett actually sent him the part. Does the faceplate actually pop off somehow? If so I wonder if we could pop it off and seal it somehow as a preventive measure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread