AT Pro defective?

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new (1 week old) AT Pro has been flawless until this evening. I turned in on in the house to check the tone on an earring my wife had and it began to act very erratic (in pro mode, coil in the air). I did a reset, changed batteries, tried a different spot changed frequencies, cleaned between the coil cover (I actually checked all my connections and washed it), and disconnected and reconnected the coil....then took it outside in my yard (where I have detected before without issue), ground balanced it and It's super chattery (pro mode) and now have to turn the sensitivity almost all the way down (where I used to run full up in the same spots). Keep in mind this just happened...would a storm coming in cause this?

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Austin for the reply. It's really weird...she seems to have settled down and is acting normal again. I know for sure all connections were good. The only thing I can think of is that the weather caused some kind of fluctuation?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EMI and my ATP hates florescent lighting of any kind.

Texas ED

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman that's a great article. It's a beautiful day today and I'm going to fire up the ATP to do a little hunting. I'll let you all know if it was for sure EMI caused by the incoming storm.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the ATP performed just fine today so it must have been EMI from the incoming storm last night.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found the AT Pro to be sensitive to EMI and the one thing people forget is almost everyone has wireless wifi in the house or their phone. Since putting a Neil Storm coil on I can tell if there is a power line some place close :) she starts to chatter in the end of the VDI chart.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed my ATP chatters lots more than my Tesoro's. Fisher's seen to also be okay and Minelab best of all.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a nice electrical storm a few months back that sent an Ace 400 and a Land Ranger Pro into fits...my wife's Gold Bug handled it with ease. A decent thunder/lightning storm absolutely has the EMI to make your detector go bonkers.

Here is a little video I did showing it....only at 50% sens did it calm down.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, don't forget about WiFi and radio signals that are all around us 24/7. I have a very powerful router that makes my AT Pro with Neil Storm coil go NUTS if I am anywhere closer than 50 feet of the house. I also know the neighbors have a nice router as the AT Pro goes chatty if I get close to his place. Forget aout hunting near power lines or electric fences in wet weather. A little tip for all those that hunt near occupied homes with WiFi and such - turn your sensitivty way down about 3-4 bars and go over the same areas you have hit before. You will be surprised at home much having your machine running at full sens misses some of the signals due to interferance :)

scavanau

Jul 7, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Ace-250, AT-Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Ace-250 hated my cell phone and radio towers. My AT-Gold momentarily wigged out on me in the rain yesterday in a very rural area. I'm hoping the 2 bars of battery life were probable cause for that.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had that happen to me twice, 1st time it falsed everywhere no matter what, got a new coil and the problem went away.

Just yesterday I was hunting in the water at a beach I have hunted many times, would not stop chattering. Reset, changed batteries [which were low anyhow], checked connections and coil, still would not stop chattering so I gave up.
This location has 2 beaches so a couple hours later I went to the smaller beach and it behaved perfectly. Took it back to the other beach where it was acting up and once again, no problems.

There were storms in and out of the area half the day, I'm thinking the circuitry must have gotten freaked out by a charge in the air, only explanation I could think of.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread