Garrett Pro pointer --again-

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to recall a YouTube video that addressed this phenomenon. Something about needing to insulate a wire inside the pointer. The vid walked you through how to do/fix it. One of the symptoms of this issue was if you shook the pointer or hit it...it would give off a false signal. Does that sound like what you guys are experiencing? I do t have the link but I'm sure if you did a search you could locate the vid.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I got so tired of mine doing that, I moved on to a different brand. Garrett's customer service is great love the products and the brand. But its such an inconvenience to send it in. I had two of them and when they both acted up while I was out in the field miles from anywhere on a site. I said no more. I may try the new water proof one. When they work they work great, but when they don't man it sucks!
I haven't heard much on the new one doing that, anyone have more info?

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a new carrot and have had zero issues with it. It's been fantastic.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Steve Ia

Aug 22, 2010
I posted about my ProPointer being erratic and unusable because of it a while back. Not sure if it is the same problem you are experiencing or not. Mine would detect metal, but was so erratic that it was unusable. I had sent it in to Garret and they were going to charge me (can't remember exact amount) I believe around $75 to put a new coil on it. I said no thanks, just send it back. I did look on Youtube and found several videos where they removed the circuit board and there are three wires that go from the board to the coil. One is insulated and the other two just are coated with a thin shellack. These evidently rub on the circiut board and cause it to sound off when no metal is present. I just removed the circiut board and sandwiched the three wires between about an inch and a half of black electrical tape keeping the wires separated before sandwhiching. My Propointer had problems since new. Now it works like it should with no falsing. You do need to watch the videos if you are going to try this. If you aren't careful you can damage the on/off switch while removing and reinstalling the board. In my case I figured I had nothing to lose and it was a last ditch effort before buying a new one. It took about 30 minutes and I could probably do it again in ten. I was irritated that Garret wanted to charge me for a new coil. Probably one with all three wires insulated when it didn't need a coil at all and it was a design flaw, which was their mess up.

Last edited:

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted about my ProPointer being erratic and unusable because of it a while back. Not sure if it is the same problem you are experiencing or not. Mine would detect metal, but was so erratic that it was unusable. I had sent it in to Garret and they were going to charge me (can't remember exact amount) I believe around $75 to put a new coil on it. I said no thanks, just send it back. I did look on Youtube and found several videos where they removed the circuit board and there are three wires that go from the board to the coil. One is insulated and the other two just are coated with a thin shellack. These evidently rub on the circiut board and cause it to sound off when no metal is present. I just removed the circiut board and sandwiched the three wires between about an inch and a half of black electrical tape keeping the wires separated before sandwhiching. My Propointer had problems since new. Now it works like it should with no falsing. You do need to watch the videos if you are going to try this. If you aren't careful you can damage the on/off switch while removing and reinstalling the board. In my case I figured I had nothing to lose and it was a last ditch effort before buying a new one. It took about 30 minutes and I could probably do it again in ten. I was irritated that Garret wanted to charge me for a new coil. Probably one with all three wires insulated when it didn't need a coil at all and it was a design flaw, which was their mess up.

Sound like a company to stay far away from

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Junk it and get a TRX.. I loved my pro pointer until I bought the TRX.. My pro pointer was doing the same thing and only working 1/2 the time. I bought the TRX two yrs ago and have never had falsing problems with it. Plus you can adjust it to your liking for depth etc

The Pro Pointer was the gold standard for a long time but I don't think Garrett did anything to improve it once it hit the market.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My at pointer only did this type of thing ones and it was when I found a magnet .
Was reading weird and beeping funny then just kept beeping.
Probably no help to you but it's all I got.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new Garrett carrot also allows you to adjust sensitivity (3 levels) to include 3 silent modes. I've never had a problem with it.

maxxkatt

Jul 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had a similar problem with the AT Pro orange water proof pointer.

Hi All: My Garrett PP (5yrs old) is giving me fits again// I turn it on, poke around the hole, get a tone and it continues to tone till I shut it off and on again/// Batt. is about 3/4 // any Ideas ?? Sitting at my desk it works perfectly of course/// Perry???

I had a similar problem with the orange pro pointer which I purchased brand new last week.
Worked one day in the field for about 1 hour. Then when it found a target it just hit a steady alarm all the time and acted erratically. Was ready to send back, but checked battery voltage of the Everready battery that was shipped with the unit. I had 8.5 volts. Should have been enough. Went out and bought duracel alkaline battery and all started working well. Not sure if that was a long or short term fix. But used it in the field next day for 3 hours and all was fine.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old black ones will do that the coating on the wire as was stated above is the culprit i had one do the same thing and they wanted 50 bucks to fix it. I bought the carrot and its been a good one so far Ive used it for almost a year now solid performer imo.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been putting up with a temperamental Garrett Propointer for quite a while now as well.

Stubborn me, i couldn't stand the thought of sending it in and being without it, yet if i had just sucked it up and actually did it i'd have been good to go for another several years trouble free.

I'm thinking i'll take it apart and give the home repair a go.

~Tejaas~

thekspapa

Jul 11, 2016
Ne oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, mine lab 305, at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched the nhtreasurehunter "jay-mo" instructional video. It worked for me.

Semag93

Feb 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another detailed video on replacing the whole switch (requires soldering) or fixing (replacing switch parts) for the Pro-Pointer, along with a link to ebay to purchase the replacement switch.

For those that want to do it themselves:

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZT...ature=youtu.be

EBay:
ON/OFF replacement Switch for Garrett Pro-Pointer / Interruttore | eBay

OP
OP
perry2

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I started this post I purchased a Carrot from Big Boys// no problems from then on and I have the old one as back up// Perry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread