Search Coils For AT Pro

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the NEL Storm and Big coils. I also have the White's V3i. The V3i will out analyze and save you from digging more trash, not all trash but less. The At Pro with the Nell big is heavy but awesome. I've found Silver dimes to 10" IHP to 9", I found a 1902 dog tag 13" . The Pro is also a water detector, is the E-Trac? One thing people don't realize is the Pro is a lot better detector than you think the standard headphones hold it back. If you want to dig less trash try the Grey Ghost headphones, they really bring out the tones. They are like a totally different detector. Silver will whine, nickels will thud better, and clad will sound clearer. Be happy with what you have and upgrade wit5h what you find. Any detector will pay for it's self many times over, you just have to use it. Also you will need hundreds of hours on a good detector before you truly can use and understand it.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
"Be happy with what you have and upgrade with what you find. Any detector will pay for it's self many times over, you just have to use it. Also you will need hundreds of hours on a good detector before you truly can use and understand it."

Some of the best words of wisdom you will ever hear about metal detecting. Well said!

drool.gif

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Plugger CF straight shaft and a 5x8" coil. Light, fast and versatile!

I will second that 5 x 8 coil. It's a killer in trashy areas and relics.

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I will second that 5 x 8 coil. It's a killer in trashy areas and relics.

I bought it a few weeks ago, the 5x8 is not coming off my AT Pro in the near future! So much better to read targets that are close by each other.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the stock and small NEL Snake coil and it's awesome! Great separation and to tell you the truth I don't see it losing any depth. I'm quite positive it's basically the same as the regular 11" stock coil.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 5" x 8" coil is stock on the AT Gold and is a killer! I also have one I use on the AT Pro; little to no loss in depth, less coverage area, but go a bit slower and strong lock on a target. I have "coined" the term "snap and lock" when giving lectures or lessons on metal detecting. The 5" x 8" coil snaps (notifies the operator) and locks (Clear signal tone) very well, so as, you can hardly miss the target (especially if you learn the tone modulated sounds). The key is the "snap", some people swing to fast or incorrectly reducing the chance of hearing the sound. People who use the 5" x 8" coil know what that unmistakable sound reported sounds like.

GL & HH

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I start ive owned the pro with 2 nel coils and the 5x8 and the 8 x 11 coils Is the pro a good detector yes! Is it the best some would say yes and others would say no. everyone is entitled to their opinion but there are a couple statements in the post above that disturb me like this one ( There is no such thing as a better detector.) really? Then we all should buy the cheapest detector we can find and save our money.
Most people who have been detecting for a long time know that owning various coils for a metal detector is a real asset. Greater depth? Larger coil. Deal with mineralizaton issues? Get a DD coil. Trashy areas? Get a small coil. Depth of any detector is relative to target size, target conductivity, mineralization in soil/water matrix and most important, the user of the machine and how it is set up. There is no such thing as a better detector. There are situations where a Garrett user will run circles around some of the most expensive metal detectors available.

The same metal detector with a different coil is like a totally different metal detector, which will have clear advantages over another machine. At least Garrett Coils are affordable and actually made in USA. And some of the after market coils available for the AT Series also walk circles around some of the most expensive metal detectors. Check out some YOU-Tube videos with the NEL coils on AT Series detectors.

You DO NOT have to spend $1,200.00 for a decent metal detector. If a dealer tells you that, run away from him as fast as you can. More money does not equal a better metal detector.

View attachment 1341599

Last edited:

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The 5" x 8" coil is stock on the AT Gold and is a killer! I also have one I use on the AT Pro; little to no loss in depth, less coverage area, but go a bit slower and strong lock on a target. I have "coined" the term "snap and lock" when giving lectures or lessons on metal detecting. The 5" x 8" coil snaps (notifies the operator) and locks (Clear signal tone) very well, so as, you can hardly miss the target (especially if you learn the tone modulated sounds). The key is the "snap", some people swing to fast or incorrectly reducing the chance of hearing the sound. People who use the 5" x 8" coil know what that unmistakable sound reported sounds like.

GL & HH

Know exactly what you mean, when you get a target under the 5x8 you know it. I also love how you don't need to pinpoint (on the beach at least), the coil has the same diameter my scoop can pick up so I just press the coil in the sand to mark the area and scoop it up.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seems people start with the AT Pro and they always think they want "more" or better. I use the AT Pro with the Neil Storm coil and the grey ghost amphibian headphones yes even on dry land or if it's blazing hot I switch to "Dr Dre Beats" in-ear buds by using the Garret 1/4 inch headphone addaptor. I don't worry about missing targets as I know and have faith the Pro will sniff out whats under the dirt and if it misses something it will be there next time :) I would like to also get the XP one day but until then the AT Pro and Neil Storm coil have found more interesting finds then I ever did with the stock Garrett coil so I am happy with what I have and to me thats the most important aspect! As long as I can get out and swing a detector I'm happy some people can't affored the AT Pro

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the tornado and attack and killed it with them. The attack imo was a little to much. I was gonna buy a storm but you couldnt find them at the time everyone was buying them hoover boys probaly had something to do with that.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a video of the at pro and xp deus in my test garden showing the recovery speeds of both detectors go check it out in head to head comparision. I will go ahead and say the at pro is a good machine and I dont expect it to keep up with a machine 2x its price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions