thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AT Pro or ACE 400?

Trying to decide between the two. Right now I have a Tereso Bandido that does have the manual ground balance. I know the ACE 400 that does not have ground balance. So I am leaning toward the ACE 400 thinking if I get into a situation that may require an area that needs that( ground balance) I can rely on my Tereso as a backup .

I really do not how much issue i will have with needing a ground balance. It is hard to justify $600 ( I don't go detecting that much) but I guess you get what you pay for. This detector will mostly be use around old homes for relics and coins.

Another issue is I have is disability issues with arms,shoulders ,wrists. If I decide to get the AT Pro, can I get the 5X8 coil instead of the coil that comes with the AT? Trying to make it lighter. Is there any dealers that would swap those 2 coils out?

Anybody know how the ACE 400 does in the NC soli (Piedmont area )and if they are happy with it or wished they would have went up to the AT?

thanks for any advice
Tom
North Carolina

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the Pro, it's waterproof. As for making t lighter look at the detector buddy sling. They're awesome

OP
OP
T

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the quick reply. MackDog will any dealer trade out that coil or will have to buy separate ?....if so will they discount it since i am buying machine from them?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both and the Ace 400 was the biggest disappointment of any detector I have bought. go with the ATP.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
atp hands down blows the ace series away learn it in pro mode.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
The type of hunting that your going to do is perfect for the ATP. But, you have to use the 5x8 to complete the setup. You won't take it off.

Try some of the vendors here. They might have something.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro for sure. Give Bart from BigBoysHobbies a call. I bet he can set you up with a great deal on what you want.

OP
OP
T

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dumb question here: But what makes the 5X8 the complete setup? I have heard that several other forums? I know one reason I want it is because it is lighter.

Thanks for helping me out and sharing your knowledge with me. I am going to the AT just need a 2 or 3 weeks to come up with the rest of the money

Tom

The type of hunting that your going to do is perfect for the ATP. But, you have to use the 5x8 to complete the setup. You won't take it off.

Try some of the vendors here. They might have something.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can buy the AT pro for 500 shipped thats what I paid for my son in laws a few months ago .

OP
OP
T

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You can buy the AT pro for 500 shipped thats what I paid for my son in laws a few months ago .

WOW

You will be getting a PM from me :-)

Thanks

Im going to go ahead and sell my Tereso Bandido it has been completely been through the factory for a check. Going to put it on Craigs List. What a good price to list one on Craigs List? ....I am thinking around $125 so ask $150? I had to recently spend $18 to send it back to them. I wanted everything to check out before i use it again. Really wanting this to pay for a coil (5x8 or a Pinpointer) not for the AT

Last edited:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Get the AT Pro..........a much better decision with your current detector.

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can swing it, go with the Pro. I have been hunting with the 400 for a few months now, and I love it. It's a big improvement over the 350....but it's not the Pro. I talked to Vaughan Garrett about the different (besides waterproof and ground balance), and he said, in Pro Zero mode, the Pro can get about two inches on the 400. I can tell you that I got a 50 cent sized screw cap at 8 inches with the 400, plus solid coin hits on all sizes at 6 inches, but the Pro can still kick my butt in skilled hands. Not everybody I know with a Pro, though, takes the time to learn it and so I am competitive with my peers (only one person with a Pro really "beats" me on finds most of the time). But then, I have been using only the ACE series for over 3 years, so I am pretty attuned to them. If you live in an area with bad soil, lots of mineralization, you will not want the ACE either. I am blessed to be in an area with sandy loam or dark topsoil in most locations, so the preset balance of the ACE works fine for me. Would I trade even for a Pro, absolutely. Stick a NEL storm on their and you can get even more depth. The love for the 5 x 8 is because it can get in trashy areas and better separate good targets. I don't do much playground hunting, so that doesn't matter to me. I'd rather have more area and greater depth. For the money, though, from my observations, in a skilled hand, the Pro can only be beat by better, more expensive machines like the Deus. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread